Saved Visualizations from Discover

Dear Elastic Community,

One customer is using Discover to search their logs. Sometimes they create a very specific query by which they obtain some interesting results. They would like to visualize them with one of the existing visualizations they previously created and saved. They could save their query, open the visualization they are interested in and open the saved query from the Visualize Library. However, the very specific query they posed is not going to be reused again and they would like to avoid saving it.
So, is it possible to select a saved visualization within Discover in order to immediately visualize the query without saving it?

I would be very thankful for your responses.

Best regards,
Milos Tepavcevic

1 Like

If I understand well, the issue you face is that the configured search in the Kibana bar and filters is not easy to transport from a definition stored in a saved search into a visualization or a dashboard.

I did a test shown below where I could transport the filters using the Pin all feature but indeed, the content of the search bar is not possible to transfer from the saved search into other applications. In fact if a dashboard has the saved search as a panel, the definition is maintained but only to the saved search, and not the rest of the panels.

Peek 2022-09-06 17-55

@flash1293 do you think there's a way to move the search definition from a saved search to a visualization or dashboard?

They can use the little "Edit visualization" button next to the histogram, then remove the date histogram dimension:
Kapture 2022-09-08 at 17.11.42

Hi Jorge,

The Feature Pin all might indeed be useful sometimes - thanks! With copy-pasting the query, it is a complete solution. Although I wonder if we could do it faster?

We stress out again that we consider not only the saved searches, but also spontaneously typed searches that are not saved.

Hello Joe,

Thank you for this approach - I'll definitely present it to the customer!

However, assume they already have a visualization they'd like to apply. It'd be handy for them, if they could somehow pick it and show it instead of creating a new one. Is there a way to proceed like that?

By the way, by clicking on Edit visualization, I'm being redirected to Visualize Library -> Create instead of Dashboard -> Create. Although it seems like the same interface, I find it a bit strange...

However, assume they already have a visualization they'd like to apply. It'd be handy for them, if they could somehow pick it and show it instead of creating a new one. Is there a way to proceed like that?

For existing visualizations they need to use a saved query, no way around that. They could delete it right after they transferred over the filters (the visualization is not referecing the saved query, it's copying it over).

By the way, by clicking on Edit visualization, I'm being redirected to Visualize Library -> Create instead of Dashboard -> Create. Although it seems like the same interface, I find it a bit strange...

It says "Visualize Library > Create", but when hitting the save button you can still save to a dashboard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.