Saving and loading setup data

I have been investigating how to export setup data - elastic (indices, mappings) and kibana (visualisations, dashboards, searches, index patterns) then import it on a fresh installation. I have found several useful articles around the subject but they focus on detailed problems. I'm having difficulty understanding the steps necessary to allow us to put together a development workflow with all the data it needs loaded in the correct order.

The configuration of the filebeat and logstash is via files so can be easily configuration managed and scripted.

I'm looking to manage the data entered by our developers via kibana (mappings, index patterns, visualisations, searches, dashboards etc) so that is can be placed under configuration control (e.g. GIT), reviewed by others, then used as part of a scripted install of the elastic tools on a fresh machine.

Everything related to Kibana is stored in .kibana index, so you can simply snapshot and restore it.

Regarding Indices, just do a GET /<index_name> and you can get all it's metadata.

Thanks for your response. I was putting together a list of configuration data that I did not write into a configuration file but entered via the Kibana user interface. The list has been getting longer. Can you confirm where each of the data items below is stored:

• Field mappings
  • Index patterns
  • Saved searches
  • Scripted Fields
  • Visualisations
  • Dashboards
  • Kibana Advanced Settings (e.g. date format, default theme etc)

Have I missed any?

The kibana advanced setting do not appear to a saved as part of a .kibana snapshot and cannot be configured by kibana.yml. Do these always need to be added via the kibana user interface?

The field mappings are not saved as part of a .kibana snapshot. Is there are a way to add to a snapshot, or do you need to GET the mappings from the system being snapshot'ed and PUT back into the system being restored?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.