Show country name instead of geohash_grid in visualize-spy section under world map

Hi,

For a world map visual, when I click on the down arrow at the bottom of the map, a section opens showing a table with the data for the map. Please see attached image.

There is a "geohash_grid" column that is not meaningful to the user. Can this be changed to country, city name or lng and lat values?

Many thanks.

Ahh, that's the grid reference that we calculate for the section of the map you are viewing.
I don't know if there is a way to do this, it'd almost be another level of aggregation.

Hopefully one of the KB devs can comment though :smiley:

Thanks for your fast reply. Perhaps the geohash could be swapped for longitude and latitude values which are available since they are in the tooltips on the world map. Is this possible?

It's more a bounding box than a point, but your question is valid.
I don't know how ES would handle this to allow KB to display it though.

Extra ES work is not needed since the lng and lat values are already available in the front-end since they are visible in the tooltip. See the attached screenshot. Can these values simply be displayed instead of/adjacent to the 'geohash_grid' values in the 'visual-spy' section?

It'd be worth raising this on Github, if you don't mind :slight_smile:

This is something that could be accomplished with a field formatter, but the best we could do is render the lat/lon which is just about as useful as the geo has if you ask me. It's probably more useful in fact, since it represents the area rather than a single point within that area, and I don't consider either "readable".

Converting geohash values to more readable location names would be a neat feature, and I suggest you file a feature request on Github for it, but I wouldn't expect to see it implemented any time soon since it would be very difficult to pull off correctly and is not a very highly requested feature.