Spaces

Hey Lasties,

I have a handful of teams sharing winlogbeat and metricbeat indices, and i have set them each up with a space. They are in different spaces because they will have different indices and visuals setup, however there are also a bunch of common dashboards that i want them to have by default. I sign into the default space. When i build them a visual, saved search or dashboard, i have to export/import over to their space.. This sux.

Is there a way to provide them a common set of visuals, as well as their own space specific ones? Eg from the Default space, when i create something and save it, can it automatically be shared across to the other spaces?

Do i need to setup a "Common Visuals" Space, assign this to the other teams (in addition to their team specific space) and do i all my dashboard building in that space instead?

I also just discovered another hurdle. When i go and create them an index pattern in their Space, eg - winlogbeat-* that is all fine, no problem. They can now search the winlogbeat index.

However when i import a dashboard from my default space to the team space, it also brings over the winlogbeat-* pattern from the default space, so now the team space has 2 winlogbeat-* patters.. This is confusing everyone.

What am i doing wrong?

Hey @ajhstn, we're working on a number of things to improve the Spaces experience. Most immediately, we'll be adding the ability to easily copy a Dashboard, etc. from one space to another using the saved object management screen: Saved Object Management - Copy to Space · Issue #37286 · elastic/kibana · GitHub. This will replace the need for you to do a manual export and then import.

Longer-term, we're working on adding the ability for a Dashboard or Index Pattern to be shared in multiple spaces: Sharing saved-objects in multiple spaces · Issue #27004 · elastic/kibana · GitHub. This will allow you to "share" a Dashboard to a space and then whenever the Dashboard is updated in one space, the change will be reflected in the other spaces it's been shared to.

Is there a way to provide them a common set of visuals, as well as their own space specific ones? Eg from the Default space, when i create something and save it, can it automatically be shared across to the other spaces?

We haven't explored the option of automatically sharing saved objects from one space to others, and are currently planning on making this be a manual process.

Do i need to setup a "Common Visuals" Space, assign this to the other teams (in addition to their team specific space) and do i all my dashboard building in that space instead?

This seems like a reasonable work-around until we have the ability to share saved objects across multiple spaces.

However when i import a dashboard from my default space to the team space, it also brings over the winlogbeat-* pattern from the default space, so now the team space has 2 winlogbeat-* patters.. This is confusing everyone.
What am i doing wrong?

Index Patterns in Kibana behave like all other "saved objects" and their IDs are uniquely generated whenever they're saved. If in two separate spaces you create two different index patterns, they will have two separate IDs generated. If you then use import/export to move a Dashboard with references or index pattern explicitly to another Space, it'll essentially duplicate the index pattern because they have separate IDs. If you're going to be copying Dashboards between Spaces using import/export or the Copy to Space feature once it's available, you'll want to do the same with the index pattern, so the IDs are the same.

Thank you @Brandon_Kobel this is great - ill follow the issues you mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.