Stop auto-placement of visualisations within a dashboard

Continuing the discussion from Stop Graphs Auto-Filling Blank Space in Dashboard:

Hi, could you provide the steps to creating an empty markdown visualisation? Sorry, I don't understand how this is done.

I am editing a dashboard which colleagues have produced in the past. Multiple (small) pie charts as a indicator of health at the top, followed by line graphs and additional pies giving greater detail. Trying to arrange these on the dashboard is driving me crazy as it refuses to let me drop a visualisation next to another, despite there being enough room.

NB Unfortunately I am using an old version, Kibana 7.1.1

I think the idea is to put a markdown visualization in the empty spot and leave it empty. This way as far as the dashboard layouting algorithm is concerned the top row is still filled, so small panels won't pop up and stay in the row they should.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will play around with the idea, although I can't imagine how this will play out. Maybe having a full width 'empty' Markdown panel at the head of my Dashboard will stop the auto-placement ...will give it a go :slight_smile:

TBH I didn't realise that Add New Visualization had Markdown as a panel type, which half answered my question.
It looks like Version 8.5 allows you to Select Type from the Dasboard edit screen, unfortunately I don't have this in 7.1.1, as I understand it would let me add a panel without having to save it to my visualization library.
Dashboard and visualizations | Kibana Guide [8.11] | Elastic

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.