Tile Map zoom in disabled on Kibana 5.4.0

Hi

I have exactly the same Tile Map visualization (Shaded Circle Markers), once on Kibana 5.3.0 and once on Kibana 5.4.0.

The Tile Maps use external WMS source.

In Kibana 5.4.0, the zoom is restricted to a certain level, after that no more zooming in is possible.

The same problem occurs with other WMS sources, with heat maps as well as with the standard OpenStreetMap source.

Do I have to set something like tilemap.options.maxZoom: 18 in kibana.yml?

tilemap.options.maxZoom: 18 in kibana.yml didn't solve the problem.

Hi @maenu,

we're looking into this but it might take a day. :innocent:

hi @maenu,

thanks for pointing this out.

this is a regression in 5.4. I created this issue: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/11697

This will be fixed in a next patch. Apologies for the inconvenience, thx.

@weltenwort @thomasneirynck

Thanks for your replies.

Would you recommend to wait for the patch or to downgrade to 5.3.0?

@maenu

If you can, I'd wait for a patch. You can also downgrade until the patch is released, which should be not too long from now. I'll ping on the github issue when the issue is resolved, thx.

Hi,
I'm using version 5.4.1 kibana. But after 10th level zoom in button is disabling.
In kibana.yml file "tilemap.options.maxZoom: 18" defined but it is not working for me. For an instance running on cloud it seems, zoom is working more than level 10. But instance running on aws machine,kibana tile map not zooms more than 10.
What can i do ?

I was watching for 11707. It is in 5.4.1 release notes. But still no luck.

Hi @M.S.S,

have you installed X-Pack in the Elasticsearch and Kibana instances on AWS? Starting even from the free X-Pack basic tier zoom levels are increased from 10 to 18. X-Pack is pre-installed on all Elasticsearch and Kibana instances running on Elastic Cloud.

Do i need to install x-pack on both kibana and elasticsearch instances?

Yes, because Elasticsearch manages the license information.

Thank you very much for your help. It is zooming more than 10th level now.
But actually i couldn't understand the relation between x-pack and zoom level? Installation of x-pack effects visualisation's core properties?

It's less about the technical zoom level in Kibana but more about the level of detail provided in the geographic maps. The service that provides the tiles for the map visualization is hosted by Elastic itself. While the normal zoom levels are provided also for users without X-Pack installed, the high-resolution tiles are part of the commercial X-Pack offering.

I see. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.