Trying to connect Kibana to Elasticsearch

Hello again, I'm trying to connect my locally installed Kibana to a port-forwarded elastic instance (K8s pod), both are versions 7.7.0.
I've already port forwarded the pod to port 9200, am met with this error:

FATAL  [mapper_parsing_exception] No handler for type [flattened] declared on field [state] :: .....

I'm wondering what is usually the cause of this error, what can I check and how can I resolve this to progress?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

What is the exact version of Elasticsearch you are using? What is the output of GET / when it starts?

But anyway, 7.7.0 is a way tooo old. At least move to 7.17 or better 8.15.

Hey (again) David,

The response I get from making a GET request to https://127.0.0.1:9200 is

{
    "name": "zeep zorp",
    "cluster_name": "blablabla",
    "cluster_uuid": "beep beep boop",
    "version": {
        "number": "7.7.0",
        "build_flavor": "oss",
        "build_type": "tar",
        "build_hash": "unknown",
        "build_date": "2024-09-13T10:06:26.470176Z",
        "build_snapshot": false,
        "lucene_version": "8.5.1",
        "minimum_wire_compatibility_version": "6.8.0",
        "minimum_index_compatibility_version": "6.0.0-beta1"
    },
    "tagline": "You Know, for Search"
}

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade this elasticsearch instance, someone else is using it :frowning: is this error a bug or something on ancient versions of elastic?

I think it's because of this:

"build_flavor": "oss",

This is not the default distribution of Elastic which contains Elastic basic (free) licensed code. And I believe that this feature has been added under the Elastic license only.

So you need to switch to the default distribution instead of the oss one which has much less features.

Do both kibana and elastic not only have to be on compatible/same versions but also have the same build flavor?

I've just pulled a Docker image of kibana oss 7.7.0, I'm trying to connect it to the remote elastic instance now (port forwarded locally to port 9200), but it's not picking up. I assume my Docker command is correct?
docker run -p 5601:5601 docker.elastic.co/kibana/kibana-oss:7.7.0

Yes.

May be this could work, but anyway you should not use that. Latest elasticsearch version (from 7.11 to 7.17 and now 8.15) don't have this oss flavor anymore. So all your efforts here to make that old version working are IMHO a bit of useless.

Also note that 7.7 did not receive all the security patches and bug fixes...