Unable to install Timelion on Ubuntu 14.04

(Hugo) #1

Hi,
I've followed the tutorial https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-elasticsearch-logstash-and-kibana-elk-stack-on-ubuntu-14-04 to install ELK in a Ubuntu machine and its working fine.
Then I've tried to install timelion using " ./bin/kibana plugin -i kibana/timelion" but the process is killed every time I try it and elastic search service is stopped.

./bin/kibana plugin -i kibana/timelion
Installing timelion
Found previous install attempt. Deleting...
Attempting to extract from https://download.elastic.co/kibana/timelion/timelion-latest.tar.gz
Downloading 3381940 bytes....................
Extraction complete
Optimizing and caching browser bundles...
Killed

Can anyone please help me?

Note: I have installed kibana 4.3.1 and elastic search 2.1.1

Thanks.
Best regards,
Hugo

(Joe Fleming) #2

Killed

Did you break the command via ctrl+C or something? Or did it exit on it's own saying "Killed"?

That Optimizing and caching browser bundles can take a good amount of time, especially on a low powered machine with a small amount of RAM. If you killed it... don't ;). Just give it some time to run, it'll only run that one time as you're installing the plugin, so just be patient.

(Hugo) #3

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the help.
I didn't killed it. Is just existed on it's own.
I've increased the server memory from 512M to 2G and the plugin was installed.

Best regards,
Hugo

(Joe Fleming) #4

Glad you got it working.

Right now, if you need to install this on a machine with less memory, our recommendation is that you can install the plugin on a larger machine (your local machine, for instance), and then upload that "built" version to your server. That step only needs to run that one time, at installation.

I know we've had other users run in to the huge memory requirements for re-optimizing in the past as well. I don't see an open issue about it on github, but it's probably worth talking about long-term plans and looking in to reducing the memory requirements so this can be run on smaller systems...

(system) #5