Update s3 snapshots base_path for a cluster in ECE (v1.1)

From what I understand, ECE automates creating snapshots by creating a found-snapshots repository which stores the snapshots of all the clusters in a folder described by their cluster id.

And so for Cluster A, its settings would look like

GET <cluster A endpoint>/_snapshot/found_snapshots
{
    "type": "s3",
    "settings": {
      "bucket": "<s3_bucket_name>",
      "client": "mys3client",
      "secret_key": "<s3_secret_key>", 
      "base_path": "snapshots/<Cluster A ID>",
      "access_key": "<s3_access_key>",
    }
}

Is there any way we can update the base_path for cluster A to store snapshots in a folder with a different name instead of its id?

Issuing a PUT command with an updated base path seems to work until the snapshots are fired at its 30 minute interval which causes the base_path to revert back to the cluster id.

Is there a better way to change the base path of a cluster's snapshot location permanently so it is not referred by its cluster id?

1 Like

@Simon_Khan

Currently if using the shared repo feature in the ECE UI then it isn't possible to override the base path, that's a limitation in the code

I believe it is possible in the advanced page to replace the pointer in the cluster data under advanced, eg replace:

"snapshot": {
   "repository": {
      "config": {
        "shapshot_config_type": "reference",
        "repository_id": "banana"
      }

with:

"snapshot": {
   "repository": {
      "config": {
        "type": "s3",
        "settings": {
           "bucket": "<s3_bucket_name>",
           //etc

That said it's not ideal because a) requires messing about with only-semi-documented advanced cluster data (I believe the 2.x v1 API has better model support but, the UI support is still JSON editing), b) requires pasting access keys in the cluster data etc

Alex

1 Like

Thank you for your reply @Alex_Piggott

I see, that makes sense. We've tried this out and it seems to be working so far.

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it!

-Simon

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.