Upgrading pains

Hello,
Just as feedback, I have to voice some frustration trying several paths to upgrade elastic/kibana/logstash.
(CentOS, single node, nothing fancy)

Attempt #1: yum upgrade to latest 5.6.4, then using yum again to upgrade to 6
Results - kibana re-index step number 2 (link and details below) in the upgrade page fail on the second step
I ended up reverting the VM to prior state

Attemp #2: trying to install x-pack and registering basic license, in order to use x-pack UI for upgrades
Results - destroyed my install, unusable, unreachable

Attemp #3: yum update from existing 5.6 (not latest) to 6 directly
Results - reindex fails, no known way to fix

Attempt #4: trying #1 again, but really tired of those attempts. The reindex is killing it, and
Step number 2 in this link is failing every time:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/6.0/migrating-6.0-index.html
The line "index.mapping.single_type": true" seems to be problematic,
Any suggestions highly appreciated

Error from 2nd step of reindexing:
"error" : {
"root_cause" : [
{
"type" : "illegal_argument_exception",
"reason" : "unknown setting [index.mapping.single_type] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings"
}
],
"type" : "illegal_argument_exception",
"reason" : "unknown setting [index.mapping.single_type] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings"
},
"status" : 400
}

Problem solved after I wrote this feedback, which is still important.
The web page note is wrong, it says " If you are running a version prior to 5.6, you will need to omit index.format and index.mapping.single_type from the second step."

Actually I had to omit those 2 entries even when running the latest 5.6

Attempt #1: yum upgrade to latest 5.6.4, then using yum again to upgrade to 6
Results - kibana re-index step number 2 (link and details below) in the upgrade page fail on the second step

index.mapping.single_type is only available in 5.6. I am working on a PR to address this for 6.0.

Attempt #2: trying to install x-pack and registering basic license, in order to use x-pack UI for upgrades
Results - destroyed my install, unusable, unreachable

Can you give more information here? Did you upgrade to 5.6.4, or were you attempting to goto master? The Upgrade Assistant is available in the trial, so no immediate need to register the license.

Attempt #3: yum update from existing 5.6 (not latest) to 6 directly
Results - reindex fails, no known way to fix

Can you give more information for this? You should be able to perform the manual reindex either prior to after the upgrade. index.mapping.single_type is only available in 5.6, so it should be removed if your running a version other than that.

Exactly what i found:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.