Vega request @timestamp not mapped to timestamp field

Hi,

I am using Kibana and ES 7.10.0.

I have a vega-lite widget that works and fetches from Elasticsearch the data. When trying using @timestamp in a vega-lite widget I get no results, and the warning: "Infinite extent for field "doc_count": [Infinity, -Infinity]".

Ref: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/vega-reference.html#vega-queries

{
  "$schema": "https://vega.github.io/schema/vega-lite/v4.json",
  "data": {
    "url": {
      // Filter the time picker (upper right corner) with this field
      %timefield%: @timestamp
      // Apply dashboard context filters when set
      %context%: true
      "index": "my_index",
      "body": {
        "aggs": {
          "aaa": {
            "nested": {"path": "xxx"},
              "bbb": {
                "nested": {"path": "xxx.yyy"},
                  "ccc": {
                    "terms": {
                      "field": "xxx.yyy.zzz",
                      "size": 4
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        },
        "size": 0
      }
    },
    "format": {"property": "aggregations.aaa.bbb.ccc.buckets"}
  },
  "encoding": {
    "x": {"field": "key", "type": "nominal", "axis": {"title": false}},
    "y": {
      "field": "doc_count",
      "type": "quantitative",
      "axis": {"title": "Document count"}
    }
  },
  "layer": [
    {"mark": "bar"},
    {
      "mark": {"type": "text", "align": "left", "baseline": "middle", "dy": 10},
      "encoding": {"text": {"field": "doc_count", "type": "quantitative"}}
    }
  ]
}

Using the Inspect tool I can see that the request to ES contains the following:

// rest of code left out for clarity
"range": {
  "@timestamp": {
    "gte": "2018-12-01T11:37:26.326Z",
    "lte": "2020-12-01T11:37:26.326Z",
    "format": "strict_date_optional_time"
  }
}

Shouldn't @timestamp have been replaced with the Index Pattern's @timestamp ('creation_timestamp' in my case).

When I remove '%timefield%: @timestamp' and explicitly add a query clause with the timestamp as follows, it works well:

// rest of code left out for clarity
"range": {
  "creation_timestamp": {
    "%timefilter%": true,
    "format": "strict_date_optional_time"
   }
}

I double-checked that my Index Pattern has @timestamp set to 'creation_timestamp'.

What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried %timefield%: creation_timestamp

Adding %timefield%: creation_timestamp works, but the question remains. Shouldn't it work with @timestamp?

I am not sure how it was setup or what your data/mapping looks like so I am not sure if that method works or not, never tried it.

But I would just use the field you want to work with and it seems like it's creation_timestamp unless I am missing something.

You need to specify the exact field name, Vega isn't able to guess.

Thanks, understood.
Looking back there are probably 2-3 things that led me to think that @timestamp is a 'feature':

1. The Kibana vega template uses @timestamp. And results for _all are fetched.
  2. The documentation uses @timestamp and has a note which reads: " @timestamp — Filters the time range and breaks it into histogram buckets."
  3. When you create an Index Pattern you get to specify the timestamp for the index.

But now I realize that the Kibana vega template is using @timestamp and fetches results only from .kibana-event-log-7.10.0-000001 log (on my setup), which has a property of @timestamp and that is the only reason why this had worked, and has nothing to do with the Index Pattern as the vega specifies the index directly.

I would suggest changing the comment in the documentation from " @timestamp — Filters the time range and breaks it into histogram buckets." so that it will be clear that you need to use an actual property name from your index.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think it makes sense to clarify this. The field name @timestamp is standardized as part of our Elastic Common Schema, but this isn't always obvious.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.