Visualize Data from JSON

Hi all,
I'd like to visualize graphically the following sample data which is extracted by LogStash:
{"component-class-name" : "DemoEJB", "declared-roles" : [], "execution-time" : 0, "invocations" : 0, "methods" : {}, "peak-concurrent-invocations" : 0, "pool-available-count" : 64, "pool-create-count" : 0, "pool-current-size" : 0, "pool-max-size" : 64, "pool-name" : "slsb-strict-max-pool", "pool-remove-count" : 0, "run-as-role" : null, "security-domain" : "other", "timers" : [], "wait-time" : 0, "service" : null}
I have added two fields in the Discover tab:

What I can see is that the Histogram in the center does not reflect the content of these fields. It just measure the "Count" attribute.
Nevertheless I have created a Graph from it. However I cannot visualize the two fields I have added. Only count is available so the graph reflects the histogram from the Discover window:

Probably I should tag these fields also somewhere else, however in the Settings window the only option available is choosing the field type:

Any clue how to visualize these fields in a graph ?
Thanks a lot1

You can't visualize the values of each point in the field. What you can do instead is to visualize an aggregation of each value over some bucket (for time series, pick "Date Histogram"). So, if you select "Average" as your aggregation, you should see your fields as options.

Thank you very much for your reply Tanya. I was able to create an Average based graph with your suggestion. For my needs I'd need however a graph showing the exact value of the selected fields. Is it possible to do it using a different kind of approach ? (different graph type for example). I just wanted to understand if the ELK stack can be used also for monitoring values or rather to show aggregations from data.
Thanks a lot

Not really (unless there is a workaround I don't know about). It's been a long-standing question and request, and not an unreasonable one, but turns out to be philosophically opposed to our goal of analyzing large volumes of data. Check out Rashid's comment here from a while back https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/978

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. It definitely sheds some light on this matter!