Want Simple LINUX Setup Instructions

I have successfully setup the ELK Stack on my Windows 7 Laptop for simple proof of concept. Works great! I want to setup the ELK Stack on my LINUX Server. I am not a LINUX guru yet, I can get navigate around a LINUX server, execute a few basic commands, but by no means am a LINUX expert.

Installed Versions
Elasticsearch v1.7.0
Logstash v.1.5.4
Kibana v4.1.1

Here are my LINUX Questions

1. Can someone provide me simple /setup instructions for LINUX? (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana).
  2. What permissions does my LINUX username need to have on the LINUX Server to setup the ELK Stack on a LINUX box?

Search for "elasticsearch repositories " and that should have
instructions. That is the best bet for Linux.
bhutchinson http://discuss.elastic.co/users/bhutchinson Brook Hutchinson
http://discuss.elastic.co/users/bhutchinson
September 13

I have successfully setup the ELK Stack on my Windows 7 Laptop for simple
proof of concept. Works great! I want to setup the ELK Stack on my LINUX
Server. I am not a LINUX guru yet, I can get navigate around a LINUX
server, execute a few basic commands, but by no means am a LINUX expert.

Installed Versions
Elasticsearch v1.7.0
Logstash v.1.5.4
Kibana v4.1.1

Here are my LINUX Questions

1. Can someone provide me simple /setup instructions for LINUX?
    (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana).
  2. What permissions does my LINUX username need to have on the LINUX Server
    to setup the ELK Stack on a LINUX box?
  1. Can someone provide me simple /setup instructions for LINUX? (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana).

The setup procedure is mostly the same regardless of which operating system you use. Also, doesn't the documentation at elastic.co contain installation instructions? If they're hard to understand I'm sure the team would be interested.

1. What permissions does my LINUX username need to have on the LINUX Server to setup the ELK Stack on a LINUX box?

To install these programs as services that start automatically upon system startup (which is the sane way of doing things) you need at least limited root access (possibly via sudo) but to run them as yourself you don't need any special access.