What step did I miss? (installing X-pack with basic license and security turned off)

I installed X-pack with a basic license (since I don't need security), by typing the following in elasticsearch.yml xpack.license.self_generated.type: basic

Now, when I load Kibana in my browser, I get the following messages (which are normal I guess, because I'm using the basic license):

plugin:kibana GREEN
plugin:elasticsearch GREEN
plugin:xpack_main RED
plugin:searchprofiler RED
plugin:ml RED
plugin:tilemap RED
plugin:watcher RED
plugin:license_management GREEN
plugin:timelion GREEN
plugin:graph RED
plugin:monitoring GREEN
plugin:reporting RED
plugin:grokdebugger GREEN
plugin:dashboard_mode GREEN
plugin:logstash RED
plugin:apm GREEN
plugin:console GREEN
plugin:metrics GREEN

Basically, it looks the same as this: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/18170

Because of this, I cannot switch Kibana to any other tab in order to start using Kibana.

What step did I miss? Or do I need to disable all unused X-pack plugins one by one?

Thank you

What version are you on?

6.2.4, but I'm not sure it matters

It shouldn't, but it's always good to check.

I was able to resolve the issue by formatting my server and starting the whole elasticsearch/kibana installation process over.

I am pretty sure the issue was caused by the fact that I installed X-pack once with the default trial license then I uninstalled X-pack and deleted the X-pack license, before attempting to reinstall X-pack with the basic license.

After the first X-pack reinstall (even with the --purge flag), Kibana didn't even want to start. After doing some looking around, I found out it was because the X-pack uninstall was leaving leftovers in the optimize/bundles directory.

After the second X-pack reinstall, Kibana showed the RED plugin statuses I first mentioned.

To anyone reading this: If you want the basic license, make sure you have xpack.license.self_generated.type: basic in elasticsearch.yml and xpack.security.enabled: false in kibana.yml before starting the X-pack installation process since there is no second chance!

You shouldn't need to disable security like that. The license level will enable and disable things for you.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.