What step did I miss? (installing X-pack with basic license and security turned off)

I installed X-pack with a basic license (since I don't need security), by typing the following in elasticsearch.yml xpack.license.self_generated.type: basic

Now, when I load Kibana in my browser, I get the following messages (which are normal I guess, because I'm using the basic license):

plugin:kibana GREEN
plugin:elasticsearch GREEN
plugin:xpack_main RED
plugin:searchprofiler RED
plugin:ml RED
plugin:tilemap RED
plugin:watcher RED
plugin:license_management GREEN
plugin:timelion GREEN
plugin:graph RED
plugin:monitoring GREEN
plugin:reporting RED
plugin:grokdebugger GREEN
plugin:dashboard_mode GREEN
plugin:logstash RED
plugin:apm GREEN
plugin:console GREEN
plugin:metrics GREEN

Basically, it looks the same as this: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/18170

Because of this, I cannot switch Kibana to any other tab in order to start using Kibana.

What step did I miss? Or do I need to disable all unused X-pack plugins one by one?

Thank you

(Mark Walkom) #2

What version are you on?

6.2.4, but I'm not sure it matters

(Mark Walkom) #5

It shouldn't, but it's always good to check.

I was able to resolve the issue by formatting my server and starting the whole elasticsearch/kibana installation process over.

I am pretty sure the issue was caused by the fact that I installed X-pack once with the default trial license then I uninstalled X-pack and deleted the X-pack license, before attempting to reinstall X-pack with the basic license.

After the first X-pack reinstall (even with the --purge flag), Kibana didn't even want to start. After doing some looking around, I found out it was because the X-pack uninstall was leaving leftovers in the optimize/bundles directory.

After the second X-pack reinstall, Kibana showed the RED plugin statuses I first mentioned.

To anyone reading this: If you want the basic license, make sure you have xpack.license.self_generated.type: basic in elasticsearch.yml and xpack.security.enabled: false in kibana.yml before starting the X-pack installation process since there is no second chance!

(Mark Walkom) #7

You shouldn't need to disable security like that. The license level will enable and disable things for you.