Windows service 7.2 fails to start

I'm new to Elasticsearch. Below are my eventually successful results. There were, however, errors along the way. I provide this on the off chance that it is useful.

With Win10 Pro, build 18362.175, java version "1.8.0_211", installing via the msi hangs when launching the service. The related event was:

Service cannot be started. Elastic.ProcessHosts.Process.StartupException: Could not evaluate jvm.options file: C:\ProgramData\Elastic\Elasticsearch\config\jvm.options result: Exception in thread "main" java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\ProgramData\Elastic\Elasticsearch\config\jvm.options
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:85)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:231)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:370)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:421)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newInputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:420)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newInputStream(Files.java:155)
	at org.elasticsearch.tools.launchers.JvmOptionsParser.main(JvmOptionsParser.java:6...

After cancelling I downloaded and successfully installed from the the 6.7 msi. Service is up & running.

I had a similar issue:

Service cannot be started. Elastic.ProcessHosts.Process.StartupException: Could not evaluate jvm.options file: C:\ProgramData\Elastic\Elasticsearch\config\jvm.options result: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: starting java failed with [1]
output:
[0.002s][error][logging] Error opening log file 'logs/gc.log': No such file or directory
[0.002s][error][logging] Initialization of output 'file=logs/gc.log' using options 'filecount=32,filesize=64m' failed.
error:
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Invalid -Xlog option '-Xlog:gc*,gc+age=trace,safepoint:file=logs/gc.log:utctime,pid,tags:filecount=32,filesize=64m', see error log for details.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
	at org.elasticsearch.tools.launchers.JvmErgonomics.flagsFinal(JvmErgonomics.java:111)
	at org.elasticsearch.tools.launchers.JvmErgonomics.finalJvmOptions(JvmErgonom...

Seems my issue was that it was trying to write to C:\Windows\System32\logs\gc.log

So to fix i edited: C:\ProgramData\Elastic\Elasticsearch\config\jvm.options
9-:-Xlog:gc*,gc+age=trace,safepoint:file=\ProgramData\Elastic\Elasticsearch\logs\gc.log:utctime,pid,tags:filecount=32,filesize=64m

there must have been a change that the JVM doesn't start in: C:\ProgramData\Elastic\Elasticsearch\

Thanks for this. I've just learned that your experience occurs when attempting to launch Elasticsearch from the zip file rather than installing from the msi. I replicated the error you show, plus learned that one must use the administrator terminal. With your fix I was able to get the service up.

Before I worked with your approach I tried adding Elasticsearch to a Hyper-V Ubuntu installation. What I haven't figured out yet is how to access the VM's Elasticsearch from the host.

Where I want to get is a useful learning environment that will help me apply Elasticsearch to an existing Symfony PHP application.

Any suggestions?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.