Would Elasticsearch Throttle A Kibana Request to Seven Rows?

Hi Elasticsearch Mages,

I have what is probably a difficult forum question… but I’ve gotta ask all the same. I have an ELK pipeline for monitoring network traffic. My Kibana (v 7.4.0) is used to display data from my Elasticsearch (also v 7.4.0). Specifically, I have a Kibana Data Table visualization, that is supposed to display four statistics:

• Metrics: Sum( AdjBytes )
  • Buckets: HostA, HostB, App

Ex:

HostA          HostB          App     AdjBytes
10.10.10.10    20.20.20.20    HTTP    1000
10.10.10.11    20.20.20.20    HTTP    2000
10.10.10.12    20.20.20.21    FTP     5000

And so on. ES and Kibana are working just fine, the data table is displaying accurate information, and everything looks great…

…except I’ve noticed that the Kibana data table displays at most seven rows of data.

I’m in development, and I can send as much or as little custom traffic as I wish. I’ve noticed the following:

• If I send six or less kinds of traffic, I get that exact number of rows in my visualization
  • If I send seven kinds of traffic, I get exactly seven rows in my visualization
  • If I send eight or more kinds of traffic, I get exactly seven rows in my visualization (the lowest-numbered “AdjBytes” are dropped.)

I first thought this must be a Kibana problem. But when I did an Inspect on Kibana’s request and ES’s response, it looks like Kibana is saying, “Hey Elasticsearch, send me every value of HostA/HostB/App/AdjBytes you have from Time X to Time Y.” And the ES response only has seven row’s worth of data.

The full Kibana request is below, FWIW. I don’t know how to read it, but I don’t see anything that suggests “limit to only 7 rows.” And, like I said, ES sends back data for only seven rows, every time. I’ve hand-verified this on four separate tests.

So I’ve got to ask… Does ES have a default setting that throttles its response in a case like this? If so, how could I see (and alter) that? Thank you!

FULL DISCLOSURE: I’ve also posted a version of this question in the Kibana forum, here.

{
  "aggs": {
    "2": {
      "terms": {
        "field": "HostA",
        "order": {
          "1": "desc"
        },
        "size": 5
      },
        "1": {
          "sum": {
            "field": "AdjBytes"
          }
        },
        "3": {
            "field": "HostB",
            },
          },
              }
            },
            "4": {
                "field": "Application.keyword",
                },
              },
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "size": 0,
  "_source": {
    "excludes": []
  },
  "stored_fields": [
    "*"
  ],
  "script_fields": {
    "PDH_Sum_Flow": {
      "script": {
        "source": "doc['Sample.SamplingRate'].value * doc['Packet.L3.TotalLen'].value",
        "lang": "painless"
      }
    }
  },
  "docvalue_fields": [
    {
      "field": "@timestamp",
      "format": "date_time"
    }
  ],
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [],
      "filter": [
        {
          "match_all": {}
        },
        {
          "match_all": {}
        },
        {
          "range": {
            "@timestamp": {
              "format": "strict_date_optional_time",
              "gte": "2019-11-21T19:41:30.773Z",
              "lte": "2019-11-21T19:44:30.773Z"
            }
          }
        }
      ],
      "should": [],
      "must_not": []
    }
  }
}

Does all your documents that you expect to be part of the table have all fields used in the scripted field defined? Can you show a document that should be in be in the table but is not? What is the cardinality if the hostA field?

The first aggregation level is limited to 5 different hostA terms. If the 5 selected all have the same hostB and application you would not see more than 5 rows in the table.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for looking at this for me. I'll keep you questions in my troubleshooting notebook for future reference. The issue, however, boiled down to a Kibana setting. See here.

But thank you! I think its awesome you thought about this for me!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.