X-pack plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error client request error self signed certificate in certificate chain

I have Elasticsearch and Kibana v5.3 installed. I had them both working, with Winlogbeat sending logs successfully through the chain to Kibana.

Where the solution was working, we wanted to add X-Pack to secure it.

The installation of X-Pack on Elasticsearch went without issue. However, upon installing X-Pack on Kibana, we encountered an error:

"Error: Client request error: self signed certificate in certificate chain
Plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error "Client request error: self signed certificate in certificate chain""

We're currently using Websense and previous to this have added and enabled its cert to allow the Ubuntu box to access the web and perform apt-get commands.

In the kibana.yml we've also directed following options to their proper paths:

elasticsearch.ssl.certificate: /usr/share/ca-certificates/websense/WebsensePCAcert.crt
server.ssl.certificate: /etc/ssl/certs/WebsensePCAcert.pem
elasticsearch.ssl.verificationMode: none

We are still receiving that error and cannot proceed. Furthermore, having X-Pack only on Elasticsearch has broken the functionality between Elasticsearch and Kibana, and Kibana can no longer connect. Only when X-Pack is uninstalled from Elasticsearch can the connection be re-established.

While I couldn't solve the specific connection/cert error, I was able to find a work-around.

I downloaded the package itself using wget from the URL in the error, and then used the following command from the specificed directory for installation:

bin/kibana-plugin install file:///usr/src/x-pack-5.3.-.zip

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.