Can we replace No data found message with in-progress while pushing data into elasticsearch

Hi,
Can we change the "no data found" or "no data result" to "some_other_message" I am pushing data into elasticsearch via script. As script takes some time to finish, in that period if we refresh graph it shows message "no data found". So my question is can we replace this message
if yes then how
Kindly assist.

So you already have data and are adding more, or are you adding data for the first time?

If you are simply ingesting more data, I wouldn't expect you to see the "no data results" message.

Either way, there unfortunately is no official way to manipulate this in Kibana at the moment. You'd need to modify the code directly... but of course this would be static and not dynamically change.

If this is something that would be useful to you, feel free to write up a detailed use case and open a feature request on Github and we will check it out!

1 Like

Thanks Luke for reply ,before ingesting data i am deleting the index and fetching the data via script so that we get latest data into the index always. so while running the script there would be no data thats why we get this no data results message. but i want to replace this no data results to some_other_message like (data fetching in progress or loading in progress once done it normally shows the graph.

Ah okay, yes in that case the only way to change that message would be altering the actual source code.

That said, you could avoid having this “downtime” of empty data altogether if you used an index alias in Elasticsearch. You could create an alias like “data” which points to a “data-1” index, and build all of your visualizations off of the alias. Then when you want to pull new data, run a script and ingest it in “data-2”. Once it is ingested, cut “data” alias over to point to “data-2”, and delete “data-1”.

Your cluster would temporarily be holding both sets of data, but you wouldn’t need to delete & wait to reindex, and the operation of cutting the alias over to point to the new index is pretty much instantaneous.

Another option if you aren’t removing any documents in the script would be to perform updates to existing documents rather than deleting and starting over.

Thank you Luke, will try as you suggested.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.