Cannot install X-Pack offline in docker

What gives? I did download the zip file from elastic.co yet it does not work, logs below:

ELK 6.3.0 without X-Pack
X-Pack: 6.2.4

When trying to install it offline i get this:

Step 8/8 : RUN elasticsearch-plugin install --batch file:///usr/temp/x-pack-6.2.4.zip
---> Running in 96ecfcec8c87
-> Downloading file:///usr/temp/x-pack-6.2.4.zip
[=================================================] 100%??
ERROR: This plugin was built with an older plugin structure. Contact the plugin author to remove the intermediate "elasticsearch" directory within the plugin zip.
ERROR: Service 'elasticsearch' failed to build: The command '/bin/sh -c elasticsearch-plugin install --batch file:///usr/temp/x-pack-6.2.4.zip' returned a non-zero code: 2

You cannot install X-Pack 6.2.4 on Elasticsearch (or Kibana or Logstash) 6.3.X. It needs to be the same version.

If you are using our 6.3.X docker images though, they already contain X-Pack.

I use custom images that are based on official ones still I do not see X-pack installed in it because there is no Monitoring section in Kibana panel. Can you please point me to place where I can download latest version of X-pack then? It is really hard to find it on elastic.co site as it points to version 6.2.4 https://www.elastic.co/downloads/x-pack

How are you installing Elasticsearch then, deb/apt or zip/other

Elasticsearch is already installed in docker images that I'm using. Possibly it was made with deb package but would need to check it to be 100% sure, still does it matter for plugin installation how was elasticsearch installed( now I'm curcious) ? Also it is on machine that has no internet access so the easiest way to install x-pack for me is by installing it from zip file.

Also I did doublecheck if I have it installed and does not look like it, this is all I get when checking plugins in elastic:
server1 ingest-geoip 6.3.0
server1 ingest-user-agent 6.3.0

6.3.X of the Elastic Stack comes with X-Pack pre-installed. You may not even need to install it so check _cat/plugins first.

I did, let me paste again what _cat/plugins result is for me :slight_smile:

server1 ingest-geoip 6.3.0
server1 ingest-user-agent 6.3.0

Ahh, that wasn't obvious so I missed it sorry :slight_smile:

Ok, I will need to follow this one up internally as there's a disconnect here that we need to fix.

Sure if you must. Please let me know if you figure something out, also if possible it would be great if x-pack was possible to download like it had place with 6.2.4.

Two extra questions;

1. Can you use our docker images, and if not why not? (It just helps understand your use more)
  2. Can you ask the upstream maintainer to install the non-"oss" deb/rpm of Elasticsearch that includes X-Pack?

It may take a while to get answers. I will let you know if I will know something.

X-Pack will not show up in _cat/plugins in 6.3.0 as it's technically a module rather than a plugin.

Try GET /_xpack
That will tell you whether xpack in available, and if so, which features are licensed & enabled.

2 Likes

Hello, This thread may be closed we are switching from oss to official elastic docker images. Thanks for all the help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.