Can't connect remotely to Kibana from Windows machine

I have kibana installed on ubuntu server and can't navigate to it remotely. I'm on the same private network as the server. I've edited the kibana.yml file to the following:

Kibana is served by a back end server. This setting specifies the port to use.

server.port: 5601

Specifies the address to which the Kibana server will bind. IP addresses and host names are both valid values.

The default is 'localhost', which usually means remote machines will not be able to connect.

To allow connections from remote users, set this parameter to a non-loopback address.

server.host: "0.0.0.0"

I've opened the port 5601 and even disabled UFW with no luck. Any suggestions on what else I should look for. I'm new to this so help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you able to connect to the server from a browser running locally? Or able to use curl to get a Kibana HTTP response locally?

No I can't. I get this using curl

HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
retry-after: 30
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
cache-control: no-cache
content-length: 30
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:46:10 GMT
Connection: keep-alive

Tim. Now I get this when I try and access remotely in chrome. Looks like I’m getting close.

Kibana server is not ready yet

Hi Tim. Any thoughts as to why I keep getting this "Kibana server is not ready yet"? Thanks!

Hi, apologies for the lapse.

Is Elasticsearch up and running when you start Kibana?

Do the logs show anything about the connection to Elasticsearch?

I don't see what version you are running, but perhaps it's an issue of Kibana getting stuck trying to upgrade from an older version?
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/release-notes-6.5.0.html#known-issues-6.5.0

Good morning Tim. Elastic search is running. Not sure about the logs. I'm totally new to elasticsearch. If you could point me in the direction to access the log and what to look for I can send to you. I reinstalled elasticsearch this morning and not I'm getting HTTP/!.1 200 OK whereas before it wasn't.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
kbn-name: kibana
kbn-xpack-sig: 0267e2644851baacc7a0f79fab6407f9
cache-control: no-cache
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
content-length: 68761
vary: accept-encoding
accept-ranges: bytes
connection: close
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 13:58:54 GMT

is the log you're referring to?

status = error

log action execution errors for easier debugging

logger.action.name = org.elasticsearch.action
logger.action.level = debug

appender.console.type = Console
appender.console.name = console
appender.console.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.console.layout.pattern = [%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c{1.}] [%node_name]%marker %m%n

appender.rolling.type = RollingFile
appender.rolling.name = rolling
appender.rolling.fileName = {sys:es.logs.base_path}{sys:file.separator}{sys:es.logs.cluster_name}.log appender.rolling.layout.type = PatternLayout appender.rolling.layout.pattern = [%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c{1.}] [%node_name]%marker %.-10000m%n appender.rolling.filePattern = {sys:es.logs.base_path}{sys:file.separator}{sys:es.logs.cluster_name}-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.log.gz
appender.rolling.policies.type = Policies
appender.rolling.policies.time.type = TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.rolling.policies.time.interval = 1
appender.rolling.policies.time.modulate = true
appender.rolling.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.rolling.policies.size.size = 128MB
appender.rolling.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.rolling.strategy.fileIndex = nomax
appender.rolling.strategy.action.type = Delete
appender.rolling.strategy.action.basepath = {sys:es.logs.base_path} appender.rolling.strategy.action.condition.type = IfFileName appender.rolling.strategy.action.condition.glob = {sys:es.logs.cluster_name}-*
appender.rolling.strategy.action.condition.nested_condition.type = IfAccumulatedFileSize
appender.rolling.strategy.action.condition.nested_condition.exceeds = 2GB

rootLogger.level = info
rootLogger.appenderRef.console.ref = console
rootLogger.appenderRef.rolling.ref = rolling

appender.deprecation_rolling.type = RollingFile
appender.deprecation_rolling.name = deprecation_rolling

elasticsearch version 6.6.1

Tim. It's working. I used a different machine to access and it works fine. Something weird going on with the other machine not allowing me to access. Firewall is disabled. I'm good for now. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.