Can't find license webform for 5.6 (to upgrade)

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade our v5.6 ELK to v6.x, and the update assistant in Kibana is locked behind an expired xpack license. I remember getting the basic license through a webform, and the current documentation tells you how to apply the license, but not how to obtain it: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/5.6/installing-license.html

# curl -XGET localhost:9200/_xpack/license
{
  "license" : {
    "status" : "expired",
    "uid" : "(redacted)",
    "type" : "basic",
    "issue_date" : "2017-07-24T00:00:00.000Z",
    "issue_date_in_millis" : 1500854400000,
    "expiry_date" : "2018-07-24T23:59:59.999Z",
    "expiry_date_in_millis" : 1532476799999,
    "max_nodes" : 100,
    "issued_to" : "Paul Morahan (Ecal)",
    "issuer" : "Web Form",
    "start_date_in_millis" : 1500854400000
  }
}

We were on 5.6.5 for both ES and Kibana, and today I've upgraded to 5.6.12 (to get the update assistant stuff). I've tried a few things also from the v6.x docs, but no luck.

How do I get a basic license for v5.6, so I can apply it, get the upgrade assistant, upgrade to 6.x, and be current with ELK? I can't find it in the docs or the location of the old webform... I must be missing something somewhere

Thanks,

Paul

Did you try to upgrade directly to 6.4.1 or went first to 6.2.x?

Haven't touched 6.x yet - upgraded to the last patch point in 5.6.x in order to make the Upgrade Assistant available, but it's inactive because of the expired x-pack license

Tooltip error: Selection_999(002)

Oh I see. I misread.

I think you can get it by asking here: https://www.elastic.co/subscriptions#request-info

Happy that you won't have to ask anymore once you'll upgrade to 6.4! :wink:

Thanks for your help, David. I decided to just rebuild from scratch after all - our CM playbooks are stale anyway (ELK loves to move resources around... it's hard to keep up when you're just tuning in every 6 months...)

Glad to hear that the basic licensing is going to be no longer a pain in the neck.

Cheers,

Paul

Oh yes! Just download and start Elastic 6.4.1 and you're done. You have a perpetual basic license. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.