Can't find license webform for 5.6 (to upgrade)

(paul) #1

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade our v5.6 ELK to v6.x, and the update assistant in Kibana is locked behind an expired xpack license. I remember getting the basic license through a webform, and the current documentation tells you how to apply the license, but not how to obtain it: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/5.6/installing-license.html

# curl -XGET localhost:9200/_xpack/license
{
  "license" : {
    "status" : "expired",
    "uid" : "(redacted)",
    "type" : "basic",
    "issue_date" : "2017-07-24T00:00:00.000Z",
    "issue_date_in_millis" : 1500854400000,
    "expiry_date" : "2018-07-24T23:59:59.999Z",
    "expiry_date_in_millis" : 1532476799999,
    "max_nodes" : 100,
    "issued_to" : "Paul Morahan (Ecal)",
    "issuer" : "Web Form",
    "start_date_in_millis" : 1500854400000
  }
}

We were on 5.6.5 for both ES and Kibana, and today I've upgraded to 5.6.12 (to get the update assistant stuff). I've tried a few things also from the v6.x docs, but no luck.

How do I get a basic license for v5.6, so I can apply it, get the upgrade assistant, upgrade to 6.x, and be current with ELK? I can't find it in the docs or the location of the old webform... I must be missing something somewhere

Thanks,

Paul

(David Pilato) #2

Did you try to upgrade directly to 6.4.1 or went first to 6.2.x?

(paul) #3

Haven't touched 6.x yet - upgraded to the last patch point in 5.6.x in order to make the Upgrade Assistant available, but it's inactive because of the expired x-pack license

Tooltip error: Selection_999(002)

(David Pilato) #4

Oh I see. I misread.

I think you can get it by asking here: https://www.elastic.co/subscriptions#request-info

Happy that you won't have to ask anymore once you'll upgrade to 6.4! :wink:

(paul) #5

Thanks for your help, David. I decided to just rebuild from scratch after all - our CM playbooks are stale anyway (ELK loves to move resources around... it's hard to keep up when you're just tuning in every 6 months...)

Glad to hear that the basic licensing is going to be no longer a pain in the neck.

Cheers,

Paul

(David Pilato) #6

Oh yes! Just download and start Elastic 6.4.1 and you're done. You have a perpetual basic license. :slight_smile:

(system) #7

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.