Cluster name in monitoring data

(Karthik Ramachandran) #1

We are using a monitoring cluster to monitor multiple elastic clusters. I'm trying to write a query to check all the nodes of a given cluster name, but not sure which property in .monitoring indice would provide me with the info. I was looking at cluster_uuid, but I would prefer using a valid cluster name viz. cluster.name setting as in elasticsearch.yml file.

Any help on how to get this from .monitoring indice would be helpful.

(Karthik Ramachandran) #2

Dear All,

Checking as I didn't get any advice. Trying to get cluster name from monitoring data (indices). Thanks for the help.

(Bhavya R M) #3

Hi Karthik,

The cluster name is in cluster_state type, along with the node name:

One easy of finding this out would be to add an index pattern for .monitoring-es-* and then you can look at the fields in discover.

Thanks,
Bhavya

(Karthik Ramachandran) #4

Hi Bhavya,

I believe it is cluster_stats as I see the entry there, and couldn't find any entry for cluster_state type. Regardless, I'm not able to query (filter) by cluster_name as it is a dynamic field (=> using cluster_name in term/terms filter of query doesn't get me any data),

In template (.monitoring...es) dynamic is set to false though!

Below is what i see in the template.
"cluster_stats": {
"properties": {
"nodes": {
"type": "object"
},
"indices": {
"type": "object"
}
}
}

My goal is to find cluster_uuid based on input cluster name and chain it to node_stats to find all the nodes of a cluster in a watcher input.

(Tim Sullivan) #5

Hi, which version of Elasticsearch and Kibana are you using? I think it was for v5.5 that we deprecated the cluster_stats type and merged its data into the cluster_state type.

(Karthik Ramachandran) #6

Hi Tim

We are using 6.1, and in process of moving to 6.2

Since cluster_name is not available in all data, I have to create two aggregations now and group by uuid. Say If I want to get JVM usage data by cluster/node (assuming multiple clusters are monitored) I have to get data from two places

(Tim Sullivan) #7

Yes, that is correct. That is what Kibana Monitoring application does in several areas.

(system) #8

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.