Coordinate map on 7.7.0 - "change precision on map zoom" feature broken?

Hi all,

We've upgraded from 7.5.0 to 7.7.0 and something got broken in our coordinate maps.

I load my dashboard and everything looks ok, but then I zoom out or change the data, and instead of many small circles, I see one big circle. I looked at the query, the initial query requests precision 6, but after I zoom, it queries again with precision 2. The visualization has "change precision on map zoom" enabled.

Of course if I disable this option, it looks correctly, but without dynamic precision according to zoom.

I tried recreating the visualization but got the same result.

Funny thing is that it only happens on dashboards. When I'm editing the visualization, it's fine.

I found no evidence of such an issue on the web.

Any ideas?

Tal

P.S. I know we should be using the new map visualization. We are transitioning gradually, but allot of users find the new navigation experience too cumbersome. Marking a bounding box to filter requires 5 clicks intead of 2, zooming to data requires 2 clicks (4 if you need to open and close the layers panel) instead of 1..

1 Like

hi @tallavi

Thank you for logging. I can reproduce this. I created Precision does not automatically update when zooming on coordinate map on a dashboard · Issue #74714 · elastic/kibana · GitHub. Please leave any additional comments there wrt. to that issue there.

As for your other comments wrt migrating to the Maps-app. Those comments have been really helpful.

Good new first:

zooming to data requires 2 clicks (4 if you need to open and close the layers panel) instead of 1..

This has been resolved since 7.8. There is now a "fit to data" button that behaves like the button on coordinate maps. Click it, and the map will zoom to the data bounds. (Kibana 7.8.0 released | Elastic Blog).

Nodding in agreement next:

Marking a bounding box to filter requires 5 clicks intead of 2

This is a valid criticism imho. It is a consequence of having more functionality around drawing and organizing that in the UX. Obviously, a balance needs to be struck here. I would recommend logging an enhancement request in Sign in to GitHub · GitHub and describe the main gaps your users are experience right now (possibly with some examples). github will be a better forum to have these discussion, and will get participation from the Kibana product management.

1 Like

hi @thomasneirynck,

Thanks for the detailed response and for logging the issue.

As I write this, we are upgrading to 7.8.1, at least we'll have the fit data button.

I logged a feature request with all my suggestions. It's a bit long as I explained the motivations, but there's a small list of suggested changes at the end: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/74744

Thanks again,

Tal

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.