(Lance) #1

Curator action file:

actions:
  1:
    action: rollover
    options:
      disable_action: False
      name: index_prod_active
      new_index: "<index_prod_v1_{now/d{YYYY_MM_dd}}-1>" # have also tried "<index_prod_v1_{now/d{YYYY_MM_dd}}-000001>"
      conditions:
        max_age: 1d
        max_size: 8gb #this value is for testing purposes only

Message from logs:

ERROR     Failed to complete action: rollover.  <class 'curator.exceptions.FailedExecution'>: Exception encountered.  Rerun with loglevel DEBUG and/or check Elasticsearch logs for more information. Exception: TransportError(400, 'resource_already_exists_exception', 'index [index_prod_v1_2018_09_27-1/A7OAj2mZR2u0YHuGyyzKVw] already exists')

Expected behavior:

1. new index created with name as such when conditions are met:
index_prod_v1_2018_09_27-2

I have followed the documentation here
I have read through this forum post
ES version - 6.2.3
Curator version - 5.5.4
I need to keep indices arranged by date, but I am also trying to keep shard sizes down to around ~20GB when all is said and done.

(Aaron Mildenstein) #2

The problem you are encountering is because you're manually specifying the target index, and it's the same timestamp as the current day. Besides which, when you manually specify the -1 at the end, it can't auto-increment.

Allow me to demonstrate. I made this index down to the second to show the date rollover, using <index_prod_v1_{now/s{YYYY_MM_dd_HH_mm_ss}}-1>. You must url encode the date_math when using Console (but not in Curator—it handles it for you).

PUT /%3Cindex_prod_v1_%7Bnow%2Fs%7BYYYY_MM_dd_HH_mm_ss%7D%7D-1%3E
{
  "aliases": {
    "index_prod_active": {}
  }
}

yields:

{
  "acknowledged": true,
  "shards_acknowledged": true,
  "index": "index_prod_v1_2018_09_27_15_55_33-1"
}

(Note: UTC time)

Subsequently, if I run:

POST /index_prod_active/_rollover 
{
  "conditions": {
    "max_age":   "1s"
  }
}

I see:

{
  "acknowledged": true,
  "shards_acknowledged": true,
  "old_index": "index_prod_v1_2018_09_27_15_55_33-1",
  "new_index": "index_prod_v1_2018_09_27_15_57_04-000002",
  "rolled_over": true,
  "dry_run": false,
  "conditions": {
    "[max_age: 1s]": true
  }
}

See how it incremented both the date stamp in the index name and the version number at the end? And that I didn't need to specify a target index name?

You can do likewise by creating the index & alias with the timestring in the original index creation, and then you won't have to worry about specifying the target index name. Rollover has you covered for date_math automatically.

If you do feel it necessary to manually name the target indices, I suggest adding date_math down to (at least) the hour and minute in your target index name, and omit the -1 at the end. This will ensure that the old index name and new index name will not collide (unless you try to rollover 2x in 1 minute).

(Lance) #3

Thank you that explained exactly what I was missing, it would be so very helpful if that information was in the docs.

(Aaron Mildenstein) #4

It is in the docs. It's just not as spelled out as clearly as I just did.

Particularly, it's in the 1 and 2, blue-circle explanations under the code block:

1 Creates an index named with today’s date (e.g.) logs-2016.10.31-1
2 Rolls over to a new index with today’s date, e.g. logs-2016.10.31-000002 if run immediately, or logs-2016.11.01-000002 if run after 24 hours

(system) #5

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.