ELK + Elastic Security Licensing

Hi,

I would like to know if Elastic Security/Fleet Server/Fleet Management and other features that come with the basic license are free for use for organizations or just for individuals ?

I would like to use Elastic Security as a SIEM in my organization. I do not intend to integrate or re-sell it to any other company or make any profit out of it, infact my organization has got nothing to do with software or IT.

My current license via the license API is as follows:

{
  "license" : {
    "status" : "active",
    "uid" : "06xxxxxcd-6673-4xxc-axce-6001xxxxxxf0e",
    "type" : "basic",
    "issue_date" : "2021-06-25T15:11:08.999Z",
    "issue_date_in_millis" : 1624633868999,
    "max_nodes" : 1000,
    "issued_to" : "elasticsearch",
    "issuer" : "elasticsearch",
    "start_date_in_millis" : -1
  }
}

I just want to make sure that considering the above use case, I am not breaking any rules that may attract a lawyers call :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Termcap

Hi @termcap welcome to the community and thank you for your interest in Elastic Security.

First I would take a look at [This FAQ](FAQ on Elastic License 2.0 (ELv2) | Elastic

The three main points are

You may not provide the products to others as a managed service

You may not circumvent the license key functionality or remove/obscure features protected by license keys

You may not remove or obscure any licensing, copyright, or other notices

Since it sounds like your intention is to use The Elastic Stack for your internal security operations that is exactly what the intent of the Elastic License 2.0 is intended for, to allow our community to benefit and use Elastic Stack and all the amazing capabilities that come in the basic license for free.

As long as you're not violating any of the three points above which it does not sound like you're going to do you should be fully aligned with the license.

To see what exactly is included in the basic license you can look at the subscription page here and I'll show you the different features.

If you have any further detailed questions you can ask them through the following email address
elastic_license@elastic.co

2 Likes

Hi @stephenb

Thank you for the explanation and the warm welcome.

Regards,
Termcap

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.