Exporting large number of objects from Kibana - errors

Hi there, We have v7.5 Elasticsearch/Kibana. Trying to export Saved Objects in prod (~12,000 objects). But it's erroring with this reason in Kibana with this error: Unable to generate export.
Here are the Kibana logs at the time of error:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Result window is too large, from + size must be less than or equal to: [10000] but was [11000]. See the scroll api for a more efficient way to request large data sets. This limit can be set by changing the [index.max_result_window] index level setting.

I see that we could increase the scroll size to a higher value using this command:

curl -XPUT "http://localhost:9200/my_index/_settings" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d '{ "index" : { "max_result_window" : 500000 } }'

Before I do that, got a couple of questions:

1. Which index should I be updating this setting for? We have over 100 unique indices and so should we be updating for them all?
  2. Is there a different cluster wide setting that might help?
  3. Is there a performance impact due to increasing this value?

Also - I would be interested to know if anyone automated exporting objects from one instance of Kibana to the other. When I tried to do in non-prod, I ran into several conflict errors and so would like to know if others had tried to resolve the problem.

Thanks for your time!

The Saved Objects are in the .kibana index, so that is the index you should make the change to. Would also recommend changing it back after you are finished exporting.

Thanks Corey!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.