How does the "version" tag works in the Json export of a visualization in Kibana?

Hi Team,

This is regarding version control of the kibana visualizations, we are planning to export the Json files and then put them into git.

Now when i am exporting the files as Json, there is a version Tag there(PFA the screenshot). I was thinking that every time you make a change in the visualization this tags must gets updated but this is not true.

May be I am doing it in a incorrect manner. Is there another way to update the version tag? Because we don't want to do it manually every time we make a change. Also, if there is a better way to implement version control across kibana then also please shed a light on that too.

Thank you
Warm regards
Harpreet Singh

Hi Team,

Any help on the above would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Harpreet Singh

Hello,

So these are called migration versions and they get updated from developers when make changes in the code of how they are implemented. Here is our developer documentation on it - Kibana Core API | Kibana Guide [7.12] | Elastic

So this won't impact how you plan to store your import JSON files. You can come up with your name and version for storing in git. Let me know if this helps and if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Bhavya

@bhavyarm so if i got it right, this version changes when we migrate from one version of kibana say 6.8 to a newer version of Kibana say 7.1?
all changes we make while working on the visualization(kibana object), in the same kibana version, this will never change the version tag?

Yes. You got it. It won't change in the same Kibana version. Also when you are going to import objects from 6.8 to 7.1 - Kibana will handle the migration version changes.

1 Like

Thank you @bhavyarm

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.