How to access Elasticsearch auto-generated password on windows

Hi all,

When i'm running elasticsearch on my UBUNTU system, i'm able to access auto generated passwords of my security enabled elasticsearch.

How can i access auto generated passwords of my elastic instance such as apm_system,kibana,logstash_system,beats_system,remote_monitoring_user,user_elastic on WINDOWS system?

Regards

If you installed using the Zip archive, then the setup process is the same - there's a utility called elasticsearch-setup-passwords.bat that you can run.

If you installed using the MSI installer, then passwords are set during the installation process instead.

1 Like

Thanks , but i want to know already generated passwords.

Is there any terminal command which i can use to access already generated passwords during the installation process on Windows?

It is not possible to access the passwords after they are generated.
The only option is to use the change password API to reset them.

Hi,

In Ubuntu,

I'm able to use command:
cat /opt/.elscreds

Command gives below output:

Initiating the setup of passwords for reserved users elastic,apm_system,kibana,logstash_system,beats_system,remote_monitoring_user.
The passwords will be randomly generated and printed to the console.

Changed password for user apm_system
PASSWORD apm_system = ***************

Changed password for user kibana
PASSWORD kibana = *************

Changed password for user logstash_system
PASSWORD logstash_system = ****************

Changed password for user beats_system
PASSWORD beats_system = ***************

Changed password for user remote_monitoring_user
PASSWORD remote_monitoring_user = **************

Changed password for user elastic
PASSWORD elastic = ******************

Shows list as above.
I'm looking for a command similar in windows.

On your ubuntu system, someone manually created that file to record the passwords that were generated when they ran the setup passwords process.

They may have done that on your Windows system as well, but in either case it was a manual step someone within your organisation performed, not something Elasticsearch does.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.