Kibana Maps - adding filter hides layers which dont have the filter field

Say I have 2 layers on a map view which shows plots from elastic index documents.

Say the first layer comes from index1 which has say fields "field1", "field2" + a geopoint
And the second layer from index2 which has fields "field1" and a geopoint.

If i show both layers on the map and then add a filter on field2, then the second layer disappears presumably because this field doesnt exist index2 so it doesnt match the filter criteria.

I want to still show all layers from indexes that dont include this field. The only way I seem to be able to achieve this is to manually edit the filter to make it like "Filter > x OR not Filter:*" to also include any document with out the field, but this is very fiddly and would like to click on other dashbaord widgets to filter on speed bands

The real world example is say I have a number of bus stop points on a defined route in one index and then I want to plot say vehicle positions and speed on top of the route but if i filter on speed then I want to still keep the underlying route layer.

Any help would be appreciated

Peter

Following your example, the only option I see is to disable global search on the routes layer so the search for speed only affects the vehicles.

If you want to allow filtering on the routes you can always have a duplicate layer without the filter switch and swap their visibility depending on your requirements at a given moment.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the answer .. Ive tried your solution which does work as you say ,, I think I can work around this now but. Thanks for clarifying i wasnt missing anything

Have you tried advanced setting Ignore filter(s). This will ignore filters when a data view does not contain the field.

1 Like

Thanks Nathan .. that works a treat .. I must remember to go through the advanced options to look for other useful settings !!!

Thanks Nathan .. that works a treat .. I must remember to go through the advanced options to look for other useful settings !!!

We would like to move this option from advanced settings into a setting that can be set for each dashboard and map. And then default the value to true. Here is an issue you can track, Filter only the relevant panels in a dashboard · Issue #170395 · elastic/kibana · GitHub, for this feature

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.