Kibana: NPM Permission Error at Start

I've recently installed Kibana 5.4.1 on 3 new Windows 2012 R2 servers. On the first server, Kibana install went normally, I installed Kibana as a Windows service using NSSM, the service is functioning normally.

On the other two servers, I get the following error when trying to start Kibana as a service:

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'D:\Elastic\Kibana\kibana-5.4.1-windows-x86\optimize.babelcache.json'
at Error (native)
at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:641:18)
at Object.fs.writeFileSync (fs.js:1347:33)
at save (D:\Elastic\Kibana\kibana-5.4.1-windows-x86\node_modules\babel-register\lib\cache.js:45:16)
at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:73:7)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:104:9)
at Module.runMain (module.js:606:11)
at run (bootstrap_node.js:393:7)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:150:9)
at bootstrap_node.js:508:3
fs.js:641
return binding.open(pathModule._makeLong(path), stringToFlags(flags), mode);

I've seen comments online that I may need to use "NPM clean cache" but I can't figure out how to run that command or verify that the problem is cleared.

Is the NPM cache my problem? If not, where else should I be looking?

not really sure what the problem is, but you could try

npm clean
npm cache clean
and if nothing helps removing the whole folder and trying again ?

I'm not sure how to invoke "npm clean" and "npm cache clean" - npm doesn't show up in my path or as an executable program, - how do I start it?

ah sorry, that should not be the problem, you are running production version ...
looking closer at the error it seems to be a permission problem ? kibana tries to write a file and doens't have permission to do so.

1 Like

Thanks, it was a combination permissions problem for the service account, and an unwritable file.

I solved this problem by changing permissions for the application and data directories, and deleting the \kibana\optimize.babelcache.json file. When I restarted the application, the JSON file was created and the application is running correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.