Kibana unable to authenticate

I installed elasticsearch and kibana per the deb apt instructions on the site. All running fine, then added the xpack.security.enabled: true and discovery.type: single-node to the elasticsearch.yaml. Next I used the setup-passwords auto then added a user to the keystore. Updated the kibana.yaml with the kibaba_system password. restarted the services.

use the curl curl -XGET -u 'elastic:##########' http://localhost:9200/_cluster/health?pretty

and that results just fine.

however when I go to kibaba it says server not ready yet. check logs and see this:

Oct 14 22:26:52 SierraElkStack kibana[36686]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-10-14T22:26:52Z","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":36686,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to [security_exception] unable to authenticate user [admin] for REST request [>
Oct 14 22:26:52 SierraElkStack kibana[36686]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-10-14T22:26:52Z","tags":["info","plugins","reporting","config"],"pid":36686,"message":"Chromium sandbox provides an additional layer of protection, and is supported for Linux Ubuntu Linux 20.04 OS. Automatically enabling Chr>
Oct 14 22:27:22 SierraElkStack kibana[36686]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-10-14T22:27:22Z","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":36686,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to [security_exception] unable to authenticate user [admin] for REST request [>

What can I do to get this authenticated?

unable to authenticate user [admin]

It seems there are multiple users being used/tested here. Your curl command is using the elastic user, you mentioned updating the kibana_system, and the Kibana error seems you're using an admin user.

Can you ensure the kibana_system user is set for elasticsearch.username in the kibana.yml file. Then also verify those credentials work with curl?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.