Meaning of automatic index cleanup

(Kyle Gordon) #1

I have no desire to use automatic cleanup, yet when installing the basic license for x-pack, I am greeted with the message 'Automatic index cleanup is locked to 7 days for clusters with [BASIC] license.'

I already use Curator to maintain a few weeks of data. Will X-Pack Basic delete everything older than 7 days? The message is somewhat unclear.

Having looked around a dev docker setup, I can't find any options relating to this 'cleanup' operation. Can anyone elaborate?

(Tim Vernum) #2

The text might by slightly different in the version you're running but in 5.3.0 the section you are referring to says:

"monitoring" : [
      "Multi-cluster support is disabled for clusters with [BASIC] license. If you are\nrunning multiple clusters, users won't be able to access the clusters with\n[BASIC] licenses from within a single X-Pack Kibana instance. You will have to deploy a\nseparate and dedicated X-pack Kibana instance for each [BASIC] cluster you wish to monitor.",
      "Automatic index cleanup is locked to 7 days for clusters with [BASIC] license."
    ],

This message is saying that the BASIC license keeps exactly 7 days of monitoring data in the local monitoring indices.

The nested structure is intentional - those comments are directly referring to the monitoring functionality. Essentially, the xpack.monitoring.history.duration configuration setting is fixed at 7 days.

(Kyle Gordon) #3

Nice, thank you for the clarification.

(system) #4

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.