Metrics aggregation of a sub metrics aggregation

Hi All,

I require a data visualisation (line chart/vertical bar chart/etc...) that displays something like the following:

X axis should group documents (i.e. top-level buckets) in months over some given time period (lets say "this year" for simplicity)

Y axis should display the average of , the counts of documents of each day , for given top-level bucket (i.e. month)

Is this possible to do in Kibana?

I've moved this to the KB area (it was in ES).

Have you tried anything yet?

I'm pretty sure this should be in the Elasticsearch area as this is a question about whether this type of search is possible... Kibana only presents what Elasticsearch returns & has nothing to do with the actual analysis / retrieval of data.

I have a meeting set up with someone from Elasticsearch this week to discuss this. The meeting is to discuss 'how to show for each top-level bucket, a metric whose value is dependent on the metrics of the sub-buckets'. I'll be sure to update this topic with any findings.

Yes this is totally possible.
It's just an average with a date histogram on the X axis.

Yeah but you are asking how to do it in Kibana :wink:

When I choose "average" aggregation for Y-Axis, there is then a drop down box that shows numeric fields. I can only take the average of these numeric fields - there is no option to choose counts of sub-buckets