No security menus: users, RBAC

Hi, I have basic license and I don't see security section in settings, why? I have default installation of ELK stack v7.6.2.

How can I enable all options to which I have access/icense, to just see them?

OK I found elasticsearch option for enable security xpack.security.enabled: true but I am goting:

Apr 12 11:07:12 ubuntu kibana[31462]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-04-12T11:07:12Z","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":31462,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to [security_exception] missing authentication credentials for REST request [/_xpack], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate=\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\" } } :: {\"path\":\"/_xpack\",\"statusCode\":401,\"response\":\"{\\\"error\\\":{\\\"root_cause\\\":[{\\\"type\\\":\\\"security_exception\\\",\\\"reason\\\":\\\"missing authentication credentials for REST request [/_xpack]\\\",\\\"header\\\":{\\\"WWW-Authenticate\\\":\\\"Basic realm=\\\\\\\"security\\\\\\\" charset=\\\\\\\"UTF-8\\\\\\\"\\\"}}],\\\"type\\\":\\\"security_exception\\\",\\\"reason\\\":\\\"missing authentication credentials for REST request [/_xpack]\\\",\\\"header\\\":{\\\"WWW-Authenticate\\\":\\\"Basic realm=\\\\\\\"security\\\\\\\" charset=\\\\\\\"UTF-8\\\\\\\"\\\"}},\\\"status\\\":401}\",\"wwwAuthenticateDirective\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"} error"}

I have basic license.

My config doesn't have anything more than path to data and logs and security enabled. Is somewhere tutorial what I should configure? I just wanted have this security menu :stuck_out_tongue: and HTTPS on Kibana soon too if will be this pissible...

The default distribution of Elasticsearch includes all of X-Pack, but the default license is "basic".

You can activate a free trial of the commercial features via Kibana (Management -> License)
The basic license gives you access to many features including some security features like TLS, file based authentication, role based access. If you don't see these - may be It sounds like the Basic license may not have been applied. Can you share the output of:

curl -XGET "localhost:9200/_xpack/license" -u elastic

I included the -u elastic on the assumption that security is still enabled.

Thanks
Rashmi

I don't want trial, just use free basic license for my small private project :slight_smile:

# curl -XGET "localhost:9200/_xpack/license" -u elastic
Enter host password for user 'elastic':

I dont know password for elastic user, never set such.

# curl -XGET "localhost:9200/_xpack/license"
{
  "license" : {
    "status" : "active",
    "uid" : "[…]",
    "type" : "basic",
    "issue_date" : "2020-04-07T[…]Z",
    "issue_date_in_millis" : […],
    "max_nodes" : 1000,
    "issued_to" : "elasticsearch",
    "issuer" : "elasticsearch",
    "start_date_in_millis" : -1
  }
}

I also before had another installation and there was no security menu too. In both cases I used Ubuntu and .deb packages from official repository.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.