Problems using the Kibana API for creating index pattern and field mappings

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Kibana (5.0.0) API to automate (via Puppet) the creation of the index pattern to be logstash-*. I have read through the following:

and

But the code in there doesn't match up to what appears in Kibana's source under
/usr/share/kibana/src/core_plugins/kibana/server/routes/api

After playing around with the API a bit, I don't see any clear way of setting the index-pattern.
So here are my questions:

• Is there any documentation on how to use the API?
  • Are there any examples on how to use the API to set the index-pattern?
  • When I eventually use the API to create the index-pattern, must I already have some logstash-* indices present? (I want to specify the timestamp field to be @timestamp).
  • Should I also specify all my field mappings via the API? Or will kibana automatically pick them up from Elasticsearch's mappings? How do I do this?
  • And this one's a bit cheeky, but will there ever be an Elastic Puppet module for Kibana?

Hi @nick-george,

The issue and PR you linked to were a part of a bigger effort to add some easy to use data import wizards to Kibana. That effort was put on hold so we removed the new APIs before 5.0 shipped. As we re-think the Add Data feature the APIs will likely need to change, so we didn't want to put something out there, have users come to rely on it, and then pull the rug out from under them. I'm sorry the issue and PR caused some confusion, I've added a note at the top of each description about the feature being removed.

Hi Bargs,

Thanks for the quick response and for updating the Github pages. I will wait for an announcement regarding the API. In the meantime, I'll attempt to automate the index pattern creation from one of the scripts posted on stackoverflow.

Cheers,
Nick

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.