Stack monitoring shows a subset of all configured beats

I am running version 7.8 of everything. I have a cluster of 3 instances, each running logstash and elasticsearch. On a 4th instance I run kibana with metricbeat and with a separate monitoring cluster. These are located in my "ELK" network.

In my main, business network, ach instance runs filebeat, auditbeat, packetbeat and journalbeat. For the time being I have only 3 such instances, ie 3*4=12 beats to be monitored by metricbeat. This single metricbeat (sitting on the same instance as Kibana) communicates with my main network over the public internet (I use firewall rules to keep the http endpoints of the beats protected) and for each instance it tries to report back the status of the beats installed.

The problem is that in the Stack Monitoring page of kibana I only see a subset of them, 6 to be exact. All 4 journalbeats are present but I can only see one of each other type. For example, the auditbeat from the 1st instance shows, but the other 2 do not. After a few seconds, this 1st-auditbeat disappears and the 2nd-auditbeat (of the 2nd instance) shows and so on. I can't get to show all auditbeats at once (or filebeats or packetbeats).

Here is an example module that I use:

---
- hosts: x.x.x.x:5069
  metricsets:
  - stats
  - state
  module: beat
  period: 5s
  service:
    name: four-words-in-name
  tags: [..]
  xpack:
    enabled: true

I have one file per such module, ie 12 files for the 12 beats in my business network. Of course, each beat on an instance runs on its own port. The service.name is also unique per beat.

I have used tcpdump and confirmed that all 12 beats return responses every 5 minutes. I have no errors in kibana logs, neither in the logs of the monitoring cluster.

What am I doing wrong?

If you enable the http api for the beats (via http.enabled: true in the beat.yml file), double check that each beat has a unique uuid. Sometimes users copy/paste their installations across multiple hosts which could result in the same uuid for each beat, and the Stack Monitoring UI currently has no way to know that, or notify the user that is is happening

1 Like

Thanks for you reply!

Which uuid do you mean though? For instance in auditbeat.reference.yml I can only see the

# Sets the UUID of the Elasticsearch cluster under which monitoring data for this
# Journalbeat instance will appear in the Stack Monitoring UI. If output.elasticsearch
# is enabled, the UUID is derived from the Elasticsearch cluster referenced by output.elasticsearch.
#monitoring.cluster_uuid:

Which I have set to be the same across all my beats (and Logstash/Elasticsearch).

Oh! I see. I did:

curl -XGET 'x.x.x.x:5067/?pretty'

and indeed the beats share the same uuid. This is due to my instances being created from a common image that has everything (including the beats) pre-installed.

Is there a way to generate a new uuid? If I delete the meta.json file in the data path, will this cause trouble?

@tterranigma The Beat will generate a new UUID on startup for itself if you delete the meta.json file. There won't be any issues. In the future make that every Beat has a different meta.json file. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.