Terms list may be incomplete becasue the request is taking to long 7.8.0 autocompleteTerminate after not working

We upgraded from 7.6.2 to 7.8.0 recently. The number of documents/shards have not change, but the controls visualization is now showing the error saying "Terms list may be incomplete because the request is taking too long". We had it set to kibana.autocompleteTerminateAfter : 10000000 . This used to fix that problem.

If I leave the setting in place as shown above, it causes another error that shows up in yellow saying "Data might be incomplete because your request timed out." If I remove the autocomplete setting completely, the yellow data error goes away.

I tried multiple times to increase it to fix this problem. The final attempt was increasing the autocomplete setting to kibana.autocompleteTerminateAfter : 2190000000 it then gives me an error "Unable to fetch Terms, error:"

I am not sure what else I can do. I have read through many issues related to this and have not seen anything like this.

Thanks

Hi @madison,

Are you actually missing any terms in the drop down or not? I'm leaning towards that you're just hitting sub-optimal UX we'd like to improve in the scope of Input controls: Improve behavior on terms list timeout · Issue #73253 · elastic/kibana · GitHub.

This warning is just a hint making you aware there is a hypothetical chance the dropdown is missing terms which are in the data. In most cases it's fine to just ignore this - assuming you verified there are no missing terms.

Best,
Oleg

We do not appear to be missing any terms. The main issue is that it is not ideal visually and can be confusing to users. Is there any way to completely disable the warning in 7.8.0?

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately there is no way to hide this warning currently when you have that many documents per shard. We also don't advise tweaking kibana.autocompleteTimeout too much as it can increase load on the cluster significantly.

Having said that we know that it's quite annoying and we'll try to find the better to handle this in https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/73253.

Best,
Oleg

Is there an estimated release where these changes will be implemented?

Not that I know of, but please comment on that issue to let the responsible dev team know that you're affected by that issue. Knowing that more people are waiting for the solution always helps with the prioritization.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.