Timelion visualization is wrong

Hi all

IMHO , Timelion displays the data incorrectly. I am using Kibana 7.7.0
My TimeZone is set through Kibana Advanced settings to UTC

I am attaching 2 videos
[1] Chart visualization of Unique Conversations per day (video = Chart)

[2] Timelion visualization of Unique Conversations per day (video=TimeLion)

The data is as follows
2020-03-22 = 38 Unique Conversations
2020-03-23 = 952 Unique Conversations

In the Chart visualization, when the mouse moves over the "2020-03-22" vertical bar, all points on the bar display a value of 38. Similarly when the mouse moves over the "2020-03-23" vertical bar, all points on the bar display a value of 952

In the Timelion visualization, when the mouse moves over the "2020-03-22" vertical bar, it shows 0 (zero !!!) on the bar till it crosses 07:00 hrs (coincidentally I am 7 hours behind UTC), then it displays 38. Similarly when the mouse moves over the "2020-03-23" vertical bar, it displays 38 all the way till you cross 07:00 hrs , then it displays a value of 952

My TimeLion configuration is as follows
.es(index=customer,metric=cardinality:conversation_id,q=*,timefield=ts).label('UNIQUE CONVERSATIONS').bars(width=10)

Thanks
warmly

sanjay

Hi @sanjaysubramanian,
Unfortunately I can't play the video (youtube says that the video is private.
Anyway Timelion always had some issues with timezones and in particular this more visible when you interact with the chart.
Could you please check this bug also apply: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/67751

@markov00

Hi Marco

I am so sorry for not making the videos public. May I please request you to look at the videos again? Apologies for making you spend double the time because of me.

Warmly

sanjay

No need to be sorry about that,
So I've checked and yes this is something that needs to be fixed. We are using different charting libraries on various visualization and there some differences. This particular case seems to be related to the fact that the timeline is a time-based chart where the linearity of the x scale doesn't play well with the way the bars on the bar chart are rendered. There is an effort going on that will remove all the various chart implementation in favor of a single implementation to catch and solve globally all these incongruences but there isn't a target date for that.

In the meantime, I will kindly ask you to create a GH issue for that so we can track it better https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/new?template=Bug_report.md

thank you

@markov00
Hi Marco

I logged the ticket as per your advice

Thanks
warmly

sanjay

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.