TSVB don't work only on Count Aggregation

I don't know why the TSVB suddenly don't work anymore only for "Count" Aggregation. it show "The request for this panel failed. Failed to compile inline script [count *1] using lang [expression]. " But when i use the other aggregation like "Average, Cardinality". it works perfectly.

Also for other visualization (Bar, Pie , Metrics). The "Count" function is ok, do any one of you face it before?

Hi @Cap_Ho what version of the Stack are you using?

Can you share your TSVB configuration with us ?

I just use Kibana sample flight and sales and create the tsvb and it also fail

Here is a screenshot from a 7.10 cloud instance which uses ecommerce data and count aggregation and it works

do you have the same configuration with the screenshot?

I have the same problem.

I can't replicate it so I will need more information. I see another series the 2xx, what is it about. Can you also share your Options and Panel options configuration? @huynhmytuan you are also using the 7.10 version of the stack?

Hi, having the same issue as well on 7.9. The error message I'm getting is:
"Failed to compile inline script [count * 1] using lang [expression]"
. Interestingly there's also another error in Timelion which says:
[timelion_vis] > Timelion request error: undefined Error: in cell #1: [search_phase_execution_exception]

Hello team, we have the same issue. Do you have further info about the root cause of the error message?

we have the same issue. What's wrong?

Hello I have the same issue on a 7.7.0 managed by AWS
The issue arose a few days ago but I am not aware of any recent change of our managed Elasticsearch platform. Does this mean that partial updates of the platform may occur "underground" without being notified ?

We have the same issue on AWS managed service .. v 7.10 . Many TSVB visualisations.. appear to have just failed with above error message.

The issue is now solved. Though I am still surprised to not have full control on TSVB visualization plugin updates on our AWS managed cluster. I would really appreciate having some insights to understand what was going on.

Thank you,
Vincent

Hi @vincentditlevinz Welcome tho the community and glad you got your issues resolved.

I think there is a bit of confusion.

This forum / community does not deal with AWS Managed Opensearch service we support the official Distributions of Elasticsearch and Elastic Cloud .. The Official Elasticsearch Hosted Service.

The AWS Managed Service is a based on a past fork of the Elasticsearch code and thus is very different that the official distribution and hosted service.

If you want the best Product and Service perhaps you should try the official Services

Product Page Here:

And here is a little bit of the difference between our Official Offering and AWS Opensearch.

Thanks for your reply Stephen.

I know there was a big shift between AWS and Elastic stack, same as MongoDb did a few years before. I understand and still love Elastic community.
That said, in the current case, despite our cluster is managed by AWS it is still based on Elastic stack, not OpenSearch (v7.7.0). It seems also that the user who opened the case observed a "sudden" issue too and he didn't mention operating a AWS cluster. Actually I just want to know if there is a kind of dynamic update of plugins like TSVB whereas the whole Kibana version remain the same and if any how to prevent this.

Sincerely,
Vincent MATHON

Hi @vincentditlevinz Thanks for the details and sorry that you had the issue, I am sure it was frustrating.

It looks like we could never replicate the issue with the 7.10 version on Elastic Stack, Elastic Cloud nor just a Docker Image and did not seem to get much more info to help debug. With a quick look I did not see a bunch of these bugs reported from our users which I would expect as we have many TSVB users (including myself)... I suspect (not positive) these may be all related to what you encountered.

We can not really comment on how AWS Managed Service work, and again I am not trying to discount the the AWS service it is very popular it is just that we (Elastic) have no insight on what happens behind the scene and how it is run / operated. I would suggest opening a ticket with AWS Support perhaps they can shed some light.

From Elastic Cloud perspective we do not "Background Update" components / Kibana / plugins et... updates only occur user initiated.

The AWS ES code is a significant fork of the Elasticsearch / Kibana code going very far back much further than 7.7

Thanks for all these details Stephen.

Sincerly,
Vincent

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.