Unable to use training

Tried working through training@elastic.co, but they directed me here.

I am running into at least 2 issues at the moment.

1. Strigo does not have my e-mail on file from the course provider, so I am unable to create a lab environment. Strigo support said to talk to Elastic. Elastic told me work with Strigo. Elastic did create an instance for me to at least take one class. It appears Elastic did not provide Strigo with my e-mail address.
  2. Using the Elastic created instance, I was able to start the ECE Fundamentals class. I live in the East Coast of USA and having difficulty connecting to the ECE stood up in EU-Central-1. Connecting takes a few attempts. But when I spin up a deployment, I cannot connect to Kibana due to timeouts. From my end, I have 431 down, 11.3 up and 13ms latency to NY per SpeedTest.

training@elastic.co did tell me they do not provide technical support and I should post here. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi John,

The Kibana timeout issue makes me think there is a networking problem. Could it be that something is blocking the Kibana network port (9243)? Are you connecting through a corporate proxy or VPN? If so, please disable those, or try connecting to Kibana from a device that does not use the proxy/VPN.

Another option could be related to step 17 in lab 2. Can you please validate that you have used the public IP there, instead of the private IP? If you'd use the private IP, you could also run into a timeout issue. Or maybe you've skipped that step? That would lead to the same error.

Notice that once you do get access to Kibana you may get a security warning. You can ignore that and proceed anyway.

Abdon

My corporate connection is blocked, so I am using my home ISP. It is windows 10 fairly plain setup. A curl does take awhile to time out and I didn't see anything with netstat-aon or netsh firewall show state.

I resolve the IP and I tried both copying the endpoint as well as "Connect to Kibana", so I am fairly certain I am using the public address.

Can you share the Kibana URL you're trying to access?

https://2cee973553c54db18aa35239c7b0f52f.172.31.39.149.ip.es.io:9243

I currently am unable to connect to the ECE to double check.

Hi @jbellezz ,

from your Kibana URL, it looks like your ECE instance is still using the private IP in the deployment endpoints. As Abdon mentioned above, please double check steps 16 and 17 from lab 2 to configure your ECE to use the public IP instead.

Best,
Andre

How do I go about connecting to the ECE (assuming that is the correct term)? I tried 15 or 20 times.

This site can’t be reached

ec2-3-127-27-22.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Internet speed test

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 13 ms
Server: New York

Your Internet connection is very fast.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing, and gaming at the same time.

I can no longer ping that URL. Maybe the whole mess timed out?

At the very least, I wouldn't have thought I could ping the private IP.
Previous:
C:\Users\John>ping 2cee973553c54db18aa35239c7b0f52f.172.31.39.149.ip.es.io

Pinging 2cee973553c54db18aa35239c7b0f52f.172.31.39.149.ip.es.io [172.31.39.149] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Current:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping https://2cee973553c54db18aa35239c7b0f52f.172.31.39.149.ip.es.io
Ping request could not find host https://2cee973553c54db18aa35239c7b0f52f.172.31.39.149.ip.es.io. Please check the name and try again.

Hi @jbellezz ,

I also can't connect to the Public DNS you sent. Perhaps, did you stop the lab and resumed it later on? If your labs resumed, you probably got a new Public DNS that should be used instead.

Best,
Andre

The labs did shut down automatically. I will resume trying again on Friday.

I am unable to get back to where I was and/or start over. Very frustrating.

If I resume class it starts up the lab environment, but doesn't bring me back to the actual lesson plan. If I select start over, it skips over all the setup steps.

And the pasword for the elastic user doesn't work today in the public IP address.

That all aside, I still am unable to access the public address.

I can resolve, so fairly certain is public
Pinging 2cee973553c54db18aa35239c7b0f52f.172.31.39.149.ip.es.io [172.31.39.149] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 172.31.39.149:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

And I am not blocking anything with Windows Firewall rules
C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh firewall show state

Firewall status:

Profile = Standard
Operational mode = Enable
Exception mode = Enable
Multicast/broadcast response mode = Enable
Notification mode = Enable
Group policy version = Windows Defender Firewall
Remote admin mode = Disable

Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
Port Protocol Version Program

54955 UDP Any (null)
54950 TCP Any (null)
54925 UDP Any (null)
3935 UDP Any (null)

IMPORTANT: Command executed successfully.
However, "netsh firewall" is deprecated;
use "netsh advfirewall firewall" instead.
For more information on using "netsh advfirewall firewall" commands
instead of "netsh firewall", see KB article 947709
at Use netsh advfirewall firewall context - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs .

And finally, I have a solid internet connection

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 12 ms

Server: New York

Your Internet connection is very fast.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing, and gaming at the same time.

Hi John,

172.31.39.149 is a private IP address, see for example: Private network - Wikipedia

You can fix it by redoing step 16/17 in lab 2.

Seems odd I can ping a private IP as shown above. I would have assumed it only exists from within ECE.

That aside, as I stated I couldn't get back to steps 16/17 in lab 2. Upon resuming or starting over the course, it was different. I even tried the one year version without success. Same for following the Kibana link in ECE.

To be honest, I gave up on this as a lost cause. I completed the course by reading/watching/answering without actually doing. Will cross my fingers and hope for the best on the next class.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.