Using --plugin-dir parameter when starting Kibana

I am developing plugins for Kibana 5.2.1 on Windows 10, and I have problems when starting Kibana with the --plugin-dir parameter.

I have the following directory structure:

• KibanaAll
    • Kibana (this is the regular Kibana installation)
    • Plugins
      • MyPlugin1
      • MyPlugin2

To start Kibana with a single plugin, I go to the Kibana directory in a terminal (Windows PowerShell), and use the following command:

.\bin\kibana.bat --dev --plugin-path "../plugins/MyPlugin1"

This works fine, using the plugin-path parameter.

Note: I have some paths problems with npm start since it uses the linux script, so I use the bat script directly

Now, I want Kibana to use all my plugins, so I use the plugin-dir parameter with the following command

.\bin\kibana.bat --dev --plugin-dir "../plugins"

But then I get this error:

Error: Unmet requirement "elasticsearch" for plugin "MyPlugin1"

See the full error dump here. MyPlugin1 is indeed requiring elasticsearch, but I do not get this error when using plugin-path parameter.

Am I using the --plugin-dir parameter incorrectly? How can I make it work? Thanks in advance!

@vincentforiter

Would you mind sharing your plugin? I can see if I can reproduce it here on my Windows 10.

thx,

Thanks for your time Thomas. Here is the plugin. I stripped it down so that it's just a visualization showing "myplugin1". I verified that the bug still occurs with this stripped down version.

And just so you know, I have the bug without "MyPlugin2" being in the plugins directory.

thx @vincentforiter!

sorry for the little delay, I was OOO. I'm going to try this out soon ... plz stay tuned

Thanks Thomas, I'm looking forward to your response. I have some more informations that might help you solve this:

I have problems when running Kibana with two plugins, by using this command:

.\bin\kibana.bat --dev --plugin-path "../plugins/MyPlugin1" --plugin-path "../plugins/MyPlugin2"

Then I get this error:

server log [12:44:21.946] [error][status][ui settings] Status changed from uninitialized to red - UI Settings requires the elasticsearch plugin

The weird thing is: I have no problems running Kibana with only one of those plugins at a time; I only get this error when using both.

In this case, you can assume that MyPlugin2 is pretty much identical to MyPlugin1.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.