Why Interval in Visualization by Auto is per 0 milliseconds

Hey guys,

We faced with issue that suddenly all our visualizations (line, bar chars) have X-axis (using Date histogram) split by Auto per milliseconds 0. Previously we use this Auto feature and since you change time period of visualization/dashboard it shows/changes to proper interval (if interval 7+ days, it shows split per day, or 3 hours which is very readable).
Once this feature is changed (don't know why), not after update of Kibana, by Auto always show Interval per 0 millisec.
So where it is possible to check settings to change this behavior?

@_Sergey

it seems Kibana is trying to do some form of auto-correction. when you see that warning message this interval creates too many buckets ...

It doesn't explain exactly why it shows by 0-milliseconds, but this is likely due to some rounding error.

If you open the spy-panel and look at the ES-request, what is the interval that the data is requested on?

Hi Thomas,

As I checked it has next:

{
  "aggs": {
    "2": {
      "date_histogram": {
        "field": "@timestamp",
        "interval": "5s",
        "time_zone": "UTC",
        "min_doc_count": 1
      }

Hey,
Just figure out what was the reason:

As we have prod and stag Kibana, I think to check advance settings in Index Patterns (as on Stag we don't have this issue with Auto interval 0 millisec).

So I find out that somebody changed this settings (it was a blank space before 1000):

Once I changed it (delete that blank space) and check our graphs - all back to normal. No Auto generates (depends on time period of check) readable intervals.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.