XPACK -Security

Hi All,

We have purchased Xpack and we have upgraded to new version to 5.3 ,Just want to know if there is any way to restrict dashboard users like read only access to the dashboards created in the kibana. So that they could play around but they cant edit or delete the visualisations created.

Please let me know if anyone has suggestion on it .

Thanks,
Raj

Hi Raj,

Yes, you can create a role that is similar to the kibana_user role, but only grants read (not write) access to the .kibana index. That will allow the user to access KIbana and see visualizations/dashboards, but not save them.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you for the response , before I do that i just logged in to kibana user to confirm if am able to see dashboard in the kibana user , but all the dashboard values are zero

only if iam using superuser am able to see the dashboard

Thanks,
Raj

Hi Raj,

Your non-super-user account must have the kibana_user role (or the read-only version of this that I described above), and another role that grants read access to the actual indexes that contain the data.

From your screenshot, it looks like your current user doesn't have access to any data.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Skearn,

Thank alot for the very quick response,

I created a new role naming New1

it looks like this

I copied the same from the kibana user which looks like the same except delete option which i removed it

Thanks,
Raj

Am i doing any mistakes ,please do let me know :slight_smile:

Hi Raj,

As I mentioned, your user will need to be assigned 2 roles:

1. The read-only version of the kibana_user role, which it looks like you successfully created and called New1.
  2. A new role that grants permission to the indexes that contain the data you want that user to be able to see. In your case, this is the data that is being displayed on the dashboard you showed the screenshot of earlier.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for being patience with me ,since we are new to Xpack its taking some time to learn

So Now we created a user (test) - he has two roles added one is New 1 and New 2

New 1 looks like this

New 2 looks like this

i nead test user to see the data in logstash_netflow indexes

Are we good to go?

Thanks,
Raj

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.