Elasticsearch 2.1: Cannot install Marvel into Kibana

Hello!

I am a newbie to the ES world and just trying to get my local environment set up.

I am using a Mac and I used Homebrew to install Elasticsearch and Kibana.
Now I want to add Marvel to Kibana but it fails with the following error:

user :/usr/local/opt/kibana/(master)$ bin/kibana plugin --install elasticsearch/marvel/latest
Installing marvel
Attempting to extract from https://download.elastic.co/elasticsearch/marvel/marvel-latest.tar.gz
Downloading 3843924 bytes....................
Extraction complete
Optimizing and caching browser bundles...
Plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error "Cannot find module 'bluebird'"

Unfortunately I haven't found any solution yet.
Maybe you guys have an idea how to solve this?

Cheers,
Stefan

1 Like

Hi,

Which version of kibana are you using?

Hi tanguy,

I am using Version 4.3.1 Build 1.

The problem is that during the installation of Marvel there are several node modules required. The first module that fails is "bluebird". It is included in the dev dependencies but they won't get installed.
I tried to include the node_modules and start a local install but the it failed with another module:

$ kibana plugin --install marvel --url file:///usr/local/Cellar/kibana/4.3.1/marvel.tar.gz
Installing marvel
Attempting to extract from file:///usr/local/Cellar/kibana/4.3.1/marvel.tar.gz
Extraction complete
Optimizing and caching browser bundles...
Plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error "Optimizations failure.

ERROR in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/lib/format_number.js
    Module not found: Error: Cannot resolve module 'numeral' in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/lib
     @ /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/lib/format_number.js 3:0-32:2

ERROR in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/index_listing/index.js
    Module not found: Error: Cannot resolve module 'numeral' in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/index_listing
     @ /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/index_listing/index.js 5:16-34

ERROR in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/node_listing/index.js
    Module not found: Error: Cannot resolve module 'numeral' in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/node_listing
     @ /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/node_listing/index.js 5:16-34

ERROR in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/lib/metric.js
    Module not found: Error: Cannot resolve module 'numeral' in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/lib
     @ /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/lib/metric.js 3:14-32

ERROR in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/cluster_listing/components/cluster_row.jsx
    Module not found: Error: Cannot resolve module 'numeral' in /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/cluster_listing/components
     @ /usr/local/var/lib/kibana/installedPlugins/.plugin.installing/public/directives/cluster_listing/components/cluster_row.jsx 12:14-32
"

In the meanwhile I was trying to install Elasticsearch on my Ubuntu server and I am stuck there as well :frowning:
It is very frustrating for me as I wanted to give Elasticsearch a try with my new project...

How did you install Kibana?

Usually I never had problems using Homebrew to install additional tools, etc.

1 Like

Yes, I have the same issue. Seems this has cropped up here and on Stack Overflow in the last week. Any suggestions?