Embed query string into Markdown url

Hi,

In Kibana 5.2, I have tried to use the Markdown widget/visualization to include a url to a dashboard. However, when I try to include a query string in the url the dashboard is still displayed without the query filter.

here is my markdown contents.

This is a test

The issue seems that the query param from this URL is being appended with "&,g_..." part that includes another query_string with wildcard in it.

Is there no-way to override the query string into the url in my markdown widget?

btw, I escaped the query string's parenthesis to overcome the markdown limitation mentioned in other threads.

Hi Sri, it looks like your markdown didn't paste correctly. Could you try sharing it again, but enclose inside of triple backticks? Like this:

```
[url example](your/url?goes=here)
```

Thanks,
CJ

Hi CJ,

Hope this works better.

This is [alink]( /kibana/app/kibana#/dashboard/2a7b7060-a3cf-11e7-9429-855a0ebac786?query:%28query_string:%28analyze_wildcard:!t,query:'test'%29%29)

And when I click on this link, my browser shows this url. Notice the multiple "query" sections, including the 2nd with wildcard "*".

<host-name>/kibana/app/kibana#/dashboard/2a7b7060-a3cf-11e7-9429-855a0ebac786?query:(query_string:(analyze_wildcard:!t,query:'test'))&_g=(refreshInterval:(display:'30%20seconds',pause:!t,section:1,value:30000),time:(from:now-7d,mode:absolute,to:now))&_a=(filters:!(),options:(darkTheme:!f),panels:!((col:1,id:cf3a7c00-a3c9-11e7-9429-855a0ebac786,panelIndex:1,row:2,size_x:6,size_y:5,type:visualization),(col:7,id:'947c8310-9e5b-11e7-80bf-d53476d5c7d3',panelIndex:2,row:2,size_x:6,size_y:5,type:visualization),(col:1,id:fb094a50-a3ce-11e7-9429-855a0ebac786,panelIndex:3,row:7,size_x:6,size_y:4,type:visualization),(col:1,id:'3f113260-a539-11e7-9014-011d031c2b98',panelIndex:4,row:1,size_x:12,size_y:1,type:visualization)),query:(query_string:(analyze_wildcard:!t,query:'*')),title:PV.Host.Health,uiState:())

Thx

Thanks, Sri! I understand the problem you're experiencing. However, I just tried to reproduce it using the following steps and wasn't able to do so:

1. In a dashboard, click the "Share" link in the top right.
  2. Under "Share Snapshot > Link" (on the right side of the panel), I clicked the "Copy" link.
  3. I did a find/replace for the parentheses to escape them the same way you did.
  4. I then added a markdown link the same way you did.

When I clicked on the link, the dashboard opened up without any problems. Could you try creating your link the same way I did, using the "Share" menu, and let me know if this solves your problem? If not, could you tell me which version of Kibana you're using?

Thanks,
CJ

Thanks CJ,

It works using your steps.

The full url is very long when I copied to the markdown & also has the name of the dashboard (which could change in future, for example). So, I was trying to find a way to only include the query parameter in the markdown & led to the problem I faced. Infact, originally I tried to append the query string to the short-url that I got from the "Share" menu off the dashboard (i.e /kibana/goto/d7265500ebeabba7f6f2b51a6a3a6fad)

btw, I mentioned Kibana 5.2 - is that is the version you are asking about?

Oh, sorry I didn't notice the Kibana version you mentioned originally. I'm glad this fixes your problem!

CJ

btw, just to confirm - there is no other (better) way to include a query string into the markdown URL? Like the dashboard name, I'm afraid other parts of the url could change and break my links unexpectedly.

Quick update: This variant of the "shortened" url also seem to work and addresses my concerns. Its essentially an empty "_g" and an "_a" with only the query string.

/kibana/app/kibana#/dashboard/2a7b7060-a3cf-11e7-9429-855a0ebac786?_g=%28%29&_a=%28query:%28query_string:%28analyze_wildcard:!t,query:'test'%29%29%29

Not sure if this will cause problems later, but I may use this unless I hear advise to the contrary :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the update, Sri! I think that's probably the best solution.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.