Help regarding installation of Xpack

I have installed Xpack on Elasticsearch and Kibana. on testing elastic search on 9200 i see response. but when i am trying to access Kibana 5601, i get system red and

ui settings Elasticsearch plugin is red
plugin:kibana@5.1.1 Ready
plugin:elasticsearch@5.1.1 Authentication Exception
plugin:console@5.1.1 Ready
plugin:timelion@5.1.1 Ready

Can anyone help me please. we need to do a POC with 30 days test version and then apply for paid version. we use EFK but FluentD has nothing to do with Xpack i suppose.

1 Like

Is Elasticsearch running?

I see that you are using Kibana 5.1.1.
What is the version of Elasticsearch you are using?

This error usually indicates that Kibana does not have X-Pack.
If you install X-Pack for Elasticsearch, then you must, as a separate step, install it for Kibana too.

1 Like

Thanks Tim/Pk/warkolm

yes elastic search is running

version of Elastic search

{
"name" : "iVaEBK1",
"cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
"cluster_uuid" : "kUnJ8kjmQ9-awMujcfmNsA",
"version" : {
"number" : "5.1.1",
"build_hash" : "5395e21",
"build_date" : "2016-12-06T12:36:15.409Z",
"build_snapshot" : false,
"lucene_version" : "6.3.0"
},
"tagline" : "You Know, for Search"
}

i was able to rectify this problem by giving elastic user and password in kibana.yml.

I have installed xpack in Kibana too but i dont see UI link in kibana where i can manage users.

Any more help is appreciated.

1 Like

Even version of Kibana is 5.1.1

i was able to rectify this problem by giving elastic user and password in kibana.yml.

Great, by default you can log in as "elastic" user and default password of "changeme" - please change this password once you log in.

I have installed xpack in Kibana too but i dont see UI link in kibana where i can manage users.

I'm not sure I follow. Do you see the "Management" tab in the left-hand side panel? Once you click on Management you should see under Elasticsearch, "Users" and "Roles" link where you can manage users.

1 Like

@Bohyun: I see Management tab but under that i dont see Elastic Search. I see

Management
Version: 5.1.1
Kibana
Index Patterns Saved Objects Advanced Settings

@adityajain19
Could you provide us with the output when you run http://localhost:9200/_xpack ?

{"build":{"hash":"821d294","date":"2016-12-06T13:09:18.057Z"},"license":{"uid":"e284c5b5-442f-4d77-8e09-925940d199fc","type":"trial","mode":"trial","status":"active","expiry_date_in_millis":1490632264833},"features":{"graph":{"description":"Graph Data Exploration for the Elastic Stack","available":true,"enabled":true},"monitoring":{"description":"Monitoring for the Elastic Stack","available":true,"enabled":true},"security":{"description":"Security for the Elastic Stack","available":true,"enabled":true},"watcher":{"description":"Alerting, Notification and Automation for the Elastic Stack","available":true,"enabled":true}},"tagline":"You know, for X"}

thanks for your help Bohyun

Hmm.. looks like you're all good there in terms of having X-Pack security enabled, and using a trial license that expires in one month.

Do you see the monitoring or Graph tab on your Kibana? What happens when you click on them?

Yes i am using a trial version, we have to do a POC on the xpack and then if its all good we will get it.

I can see data in the tabs you mentioned.

id there a well documented way where i can see i can create roles and users and add users to it. In a simple step by step way?

Can you screenshot your kibana /status page, per chance?

i hope this what you meant.

@Court thanks for any inputs

That's not quite what I needed, but from that screenshot I can create the proper link: Can you navigate to http://10.0.72.200:5601/status and screenshot that?

@Court sorry was prefixing app.

That's perfect, thanks!

Based on that screenshot, X-Pack is not installed on Kibana. Is it possible you accidentally overlooked an error message when you first installed it or something? To install it on Kibana, shut down Kibana, and then run the following command:

bin/kibana-plugin install x-pack

This will take a few minutes to download X-Pack and then to run the optimization process. When it finishes successfully, it will log Plugin installation complete. Start Kibana again.

At that point, if you navigate back to that status page from before, the Status Breakdown should include the additional plugins from X-Pack:

@Court I did install the same way i will try to uninstall and do it again and show you the logs