Index Management Tab is not visible

Hi,

I have installed Kibana and ES ( 7.5.1 both) basic version. I need to test Index Management feature present in Basic Version of ES-Kibana. (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/managing-indices.html)

However, I am not able to see : Management > Elasticsearch > Index Management

Please find the screenshot below:

Could someone please help me find/route to Index Management?

Thanks,
Somebody

Hi @somebody,

Can you verify your license? From Dev Tools GET _license?

Thanks,
Liza

Hi @Liza_Dayoub

It states the status is active :

{
"license" : {
"status" : "active",
"uid" : "<uuid_value>",
"type" : "basic",
"issue_date" : "2020-03-15T18:46:49.511Z",
"issue_date_in_millis" : 1584298009511,
"max_nodes" : 1000,
"issued_to" : "default",
"issuer" : "elasticsearch",
"start_date_in_millis" : -1
}
}

Hi @somebody,

It looks like you might have Elasticsearch basic version running with Kibana oss version and that is why you can't see index management, can you verify which Kibana package was installed?

Thanks,
Liza

Hi @LizaD,

Is there a way to find that what version ( basic/oss ) have been installed?
Could you let me know the following:

1. Is there any expiry time for basic version license?
  2. We need only basic version ( not Gold/Platinum/Enterprise ). Is there a way to update the license so that it does not expire at all?

Thanks,
Somebody

Hi @somebody,

The basic license does not expire. I am not sure of way to tell if you have Kibana oss or basic, it just looks like oss from your screenshot. You might be able to install Kibana basic and point your data and config to the new installation, but let me confirm with @tylersmalley if that is the recommended way.

@tylersmalley can you help give further input?

Thanks,
Liza

As Liza mentioned, it looks like you have the OSS version of Kibana installed. Where did you obtain the download from? I would recommend obtaining it from our Kibana download page, if you need 7.5.1 specifically you can download that here.

Hi @LizaD,

Thank you for helping me on this.

Hi @tylersmalley,

Thank you for the Kibana download page. I installed that and now I can see the Index Management tab.

Thanks,
Somebody

1 Like

Hi @LizaD, @tylersmalley,

Could you help me understand the meaning of the following ( Got from GET /_license ):

{
"license" : {
"status" : "active",
"uid" : "<uuid_value>",
"type" : "basic",
"issue_date" : "2020-03-15T18:46:49.511Z",
"issue_date_in_millis" : 1584298009511,
"max_nodes" : 1000,
"issued_to" : "default",
"issuer" : "elasticsearch",
"start_date_in_millis" : -1
}
}

What does uid, max_nodes, issued_to and start_date_in_miilis mean?

Thanks,
Somebody

The easiest way to check is to go into the Kibana folder and look at the License.txt. It wont specifically say OSS but it will either say Apache License = OSS or Elastic = basic & paid versions. I know the beats are like this as well. Not sure about the rest of the Elastic tools.

1 Like

Hi @somebody,

• uid is the unique identifier for this license
  • max_nodes is the maximum number of nodes allowed by this license for your cluster
  • start_date_in_millis is the start date for this license in milliseconds, since the basic license does not expire, this value is -1.

Thanks!

Hi @Ryan_Downey,

Thanks for that info! Yes the license.txt will show "Apache License" for OSS and "Elastic License Agreement" for the basic/paid versions. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

1 Like

Thank you @Ryan_Downey and @LizaD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.