Kibana creates invalid index(.kibana instead of .kibana_1)

Hi,

To validate some scenario, I had to delete .kibana_1 index. Now I try to access kibana UI and a kibana index named .kibana gets created. After this I am not able to create any new index pattern or view any logs on kibana.
Why this .kibana index is created instead of .kibana_1? And is there any way to handle this apart from deleting .kibana index and restaring kibana pod?

Best Regards,
Akshat

hi @akshatsharma

The .kibana index is a system index and shouldn't be deleted manually. I think restarting kibana is the way to go here.

The actual name of the kibana-index is configurable. See kibana.index configuration setting for details https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/settings.html

@thomasneirynck
Thanks for your response!
I understand, but in a scenario where all my data(indices) gets deleted, as an end user I will not know this and I will try to access kibana UI. In this case .kibana index will get created (instead of kibana_1) and I will not be able to do anything on kibana UI because of this.
Also, why is it that this .kibana index does not allow us to create or viasualize anything on the UI?

Best Regards,
Akshat

@thomasneirynck
Could you please respond to my previous comment? Kind of stuck with this.

@thomasneirynck
Could you please have a look on the query above? It is kind of urgent for us.

@thomasneirynck
Could you please have a look on my previous comment?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.