( Kibana visualize ) A value greater than "Max axis extents" is not displayed with on Line chart

When we update version of kibana from 7.11 to 7.12,
a value greater than "Max axis extents(Y-axes)" is not displayed on Line chart of visualize.
On prior to 7.11, When the value of the data exceeded "Max axis extents", the data was plotted on the "Max axis extents".

Please tell me how to display the value like previous version.
This is because the data is difficult to see in the current situation.

1 Like

Hey @kash203,

We are in the process of replacing our legacy chart rendering library with our new chart library. This includes visualize line charts in 7.12.

The fastest solution is to just revert back to the legacy chart rendering library by enabling visualization:visualize:legacyChartsLibrary.

In the meantime, I will look into this and see if there is a workaround in the new chart library implementation. Could you please post an image of what it looked like before in 7.11?

Thanks,
Nick

Thank you for your confirmation @nickofthyme - san

I tried the solution you suggested and confirmed it works.
However it effects to all visualize, so I would appreciate it if Elastic could provide other solution in the future.

Could you please post an image of what it looked like before in 7.11 ?

It is below #2.

#1. Version is 7.11, max axis for y is not set

#2. Version is 7.11, max axis for y is 120

#3. Version is 7.12, max axis for y is 120

When I look #3 first time, I feel that the data is nothing .
But actually , the data not plotted on the chart is exceeding the limit of display and it is one of what I would like to monitor.

So I think such data should be displayed like #2.

Best regards.

Oh I see what you are talking about now, thanks for the multiple screenshot examples.

This is in fact the intended functionality of the new chart and not an issue, per se.

By setting the extents of the chart you are filtering the data in which the chart will render but the chart is still aware of the full dataset. Thus the chart knows there are points missing between visible points and thus rightfully shows them as such.

Connecting these isolated points would be misleading to the viewer of this chart as that would indicate that the current domain represents the continuous dataset, which it does not.

I could see a possible solution or option for this being to draw a dashed line to the points outside of the domain to indicate the discontinuities. This concept is similar to the other dashed lines you likely noticed on image #3. These dashed lines occur when there are missing or null data points between non-null values, where the dashed line is fitted between them to represent the discontinuity. The previous chart implementation was somewhat loose with regards to this practice and attempted to connect points as best it could.

Something like this...

1 Like

BTW I opened an issue on GitHub to discuss this further with the team. You are welcome to join the conversation. How to best represent clipped y domains in line and area charts · Issue #1129 · elastic/elastic-charts · GitHub.

1 Like

Hi @nickofthyme - san
Thank you for confirmation and showing the mockup.

I almost agree with your idea.
I would like to be able to use it.

However I worried if I can look up and confirm the value of the points outside of the domain using a tooltip or something.
It looks no points to display the tooltip but I would like to use such functionality except for using Inspect, displaying the value on the chart.

I'm looking forward to your idea!

Best regards,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.