Why count in my line chart shows incorrect value before drill down?

Hi,

I am using ELK GA 5.0.0. I have created a line chart with Count in Y-Axis, and Date Histogram in X-Axis with timefield interval set to Second. The problem I am facing is, when I take it for 4 hours, my chart is showing some values, which is not correct. Below is the image;

In the image, you can see the count as 91.867. The filter total is none other than *. Then I narrowed the time range to the peak, like in the image below;

Now the chart is showing correct count;

Why is this happening and how can I fix this? Thanks in advance..

Setting a 1 second interval for an aggregation across a long time range will generate a very large number of buckets. I suspect Kibana therefore alters the interval automatically. You should be able to check this by looking at the generated aggregation, which can be seen by expanding the statistics view in the lower left corner of the visualisation.

If you are looking for a graph showing per second request rate, I would recommend creating a Timelion sheet that uses the scale_interval function (similar to this thread). As Timelion is now part of core Kibana, you can add Timelion sheets to a dashboard.

OK @Christian_Dahlqvist I have a doubt. I have a time field and @timestamp in my index. Both are date time fields. They have different values. time represents time that events occurred, and I have selected it as the default timestamp field in Kibana. Is this ok to work with timelion? or should i set time and @timestamp as same (using Logstash)?

You can specify the timefield in the .es() function in Timelion. Go to docs in the menu in Timelion and look for .es() to see a list of all options.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.